Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Michael Zoda

Default From Powerlifting to O-lifting. Having trouble with the snatch and the jerk.

Hey guys, new to the forums here, although I have posted these videos on the crossfit forums, I wanted to see the response I got here, especially from Greg!

I switched from Powerlifting + occasional crossfit to O-Lifting + occasional crossfit very recently (thinking about dumping crossfit all together but I admit I have that metcon addiction).

Anyways I always wanted to become a good weightlifter but I've always had shoulder issues, so I got by doing a lot of powerlifting programming, focusing on squat/deadlift over bench. Got that repaired a little awhile ago with arthroscopic surgery and now I'm back lifting. Here is the newbie gains I've made in the past 5 weeks.

C+J: 195lbs -> 235lbs
Snatch: 140lb -> 165lbs
Squat: 320lb -> 340lbs
Clean: 215lb -> 255lb

165lb BW @ 5'7"

I feel like I can progress even further if I really fix my technique. I have so much trouble snatching and I really cant get the concept of the jerk down, for its the limiting factor in my C+J. The coach at my box wants me to train with him and thinks I should compete. I'm hesitant because I still consider myself new at these lifts.

Here are my latest PR attempts from this past saturday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVQNCo9wz8 (C+J)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQBwEyqLyEM (snatch fail)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAv9xzPOqnY (snatch fail 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UexXldduG8M (snatch fail 3)

I've posted those on the crossfit forums and got someee feedback. Here are some videos of 75% of my 1RM taken today. Let me know if they look any better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX6gyORIN4o (C+J)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTJBqacbpd8 (Snatch)

PS: I would like to compete eventually. I weigh 165lbs. I'm not sure what weight classes are like at my level, but I know i'm right inbetween 69 and 77kg. Do you guys think I would do better to cut some weight or gain it? Leaning out to 10% bf would be nice
Michael Zoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

First, I think you're not doing nearly as badly as you believe. The lifts look pretty good.

Second, 77kg. You're only 2 kg short. This is weightlifting, not weightcutting. You don't want to be the tall skinny guy at the meet - you're just putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

I only watched the last 2 videos, so the following comments refer to those only.

Snatch -

Biggest issue is that your weight is too far forward on your feet during the pull. Right off the ground, shift back toward your heels and keep your weight there throughout the pull. Think about staying flat-footed as long as you can during the pull.

Try to get the bar to contact your body higher - right in the hips is ideal. Part of the early contact for you is that forward weight balance and as a consequence not being able to wait and stay over the bar as long.

Also need to open up slightly more at the top of the pull. Again, this vertical extension could be a product of being forward earlier rather than you just not trying to extend enough.

Could get the elbows higher during the pull under and stay closer to the bar. That will be easier when you fix the balance issue.

Clean -

This is a good lift. Same balance issue as with the snatch, but to a considerably smaller degree.

Sit all the way into the squat. You're stopping short, and especially as the weight increases, that will make the lift a lot harder. Eventually it won't be possible, and if you haven't been practicing the lift w a full squat, it's going to be risky and quite possibly unsuccessful.

Jerk -

Make your dip shallower and keep your weight completely on the heels when you do it. Unlock your knees and get tension on your quads before you start, and make the dip smooth. Keep your chest back as you dip - knees only, no inclination of the torso.

Stay back over the heels and keep your chest back during the drive as well. Straight down, straight up - then split the feet. Pick up your front foot a bit more and keep the back one close to the ground.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote