Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Matt Morris

Default first clean back

My first heavy work since my hip and shoulder injuries. Got a green light from the doc so I'm making my comeback!

http://youtu.be/wRcysRwIkWg

Also, first work on my new Pendlay Nexgen Needle Bearing bar...pretty nice bar!

Thanks for any pointers/comments.
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Keith Miller

Looked pretty solid to me, Matt!! Nice job!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Matt Morris

Thanks for the encouragement Keith. Here's what I think I see wrong, and I'm not quite sure how to fix these (or in what order).

1) The bar is crashing down on my shoulders. I think I'll work on some cleans from the pockets (basically drop unders) with light weight.

2) I'm hitting my thighs too low. I think I'm not quite patient enough (and i think its because my p chain isn't strong enough and I jump early b/c my back feels compromised)...lots of RDL's and good mornings for that.

3) I think my weight is too far forward. I feel like I am up on my toes way too early. I'm not sure on this one, but I feel like I'm up on my toes before the double knee bend.

Any comments on these or other items are very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Matt
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Matt Morris

I'm looking for feedback on my above comments. Does anyone agree or disagree w/ my thoughts above? Its hard to say if I'm objective or not when looking at my own lifts, so I'm hoping someone can give some critical feedback.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Chad Lammert

Matt-

Not sure that I can help you, but I am wondering if you ever make it to CF Madtown off Deming Way? I hear that skipp is going to be having a casual lifting competition and I think I might go. He's a pretty damn good teacher and I'm sure getting in there in person could help a ton--I've hit a PR each time I've worked with him.

Anyway Matt, all the best to your recovery,

Chad
Chad Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Morris View Post
Thanks for the encouragement Keith. Here's what I think I see wrong, and I'm not quite sure how to fix these (or in what order).

1) The bar is crashing down on my shoulders. I think I'll work on some cleans from the pockets (basically drop unders) with light weight.

2) I'm hitting my thighs too low. I think I'm not quite patient enough (and i think its because my p chain isn't strong enough and I jump early b/c my back feels compromised)...lots of RDL's and good mornings for that.

3) I think my weight is too far forward. I feel like I am up on my toes way too early. I'm not sure on this one, but I feel like I'm up on my toes before the double knee bend.

Any comments on these or other items are very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Matt
Matt, in order:

1 - I don't think the bar is crashing, I think you're dropping fast and your hands are a bit close together. Your fingers are practically on your shoulders. Take your grip out about 1-2 fingers width and see if that helps.

2 - Same as one, I don't think it's too low really, but moving your grip out will help with where the bar hits/brushes the thighs.

3 - You're not too far on the balls of your feet, I can see you get back on your heels during the pull. However, I do think you might be getting onto the balls of your feet too early. When you get past the knees, you're shifting too early. Try staying over the bar more and on your heels longer.

Hope this helps and makes some sense!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Matt Morris

Thanks guys!

Chad, i do get over to Skipp's as often as possible. He's awesome!

Kieth, thanks, I'll try a bit wider grip next workout. I also adjusted my start on saturday to be a bit more centered over my feet and away from my toes, I think that gets to your 3rd point and keeps me back longer.

Cheers!