Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Jackson Yee

Default Who perfers push jerking over splitting?

I love power jerks over the split. I am way more aggressive with the this move than the split jerk. Anybody else out there feels this way?
Jackson Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Aaron Salter

I feel that way too. But I'd really like to learn how to be more efficient in the split jerk. Practice, practice, practice...
Aaron Salter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Mike Ng

I tend to see this with relative beginners, they prefer the power jerk since it's simpler to learn and there's less to think about. There seems to be a certain point with most people when they start hitting heavier weights where the margin for error with the power jerk becomes too small and they're forced to start split jerking anyways, so I generally have people split jerk from the beginning even if the power jerk feels better initially.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

I'm with Mike. There are extremely rare individuals who are genuinely better at the power or push jerk than the split. Usually the preference is due to a lack of experience with the split jerk or having been taught poorly or improperly. It's no accident that the split is used by the overwhelming majority of competitive weightlifters in the world.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Jackson Yee

Hello Greg: Thanks for responding. What would be a good progression for me? Should I then practice both powering and splitting?

Thanks
Jack
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

You can reinforce/learn a good split with things like split jerks from behind the neck, split push press behind the neck, jerk balances, and obviously just working split jerks with an eye toward proper execution.

You can try combining push and split jerks into a single set, which will help you keep your dip and drive consistent rather than abandoning a vertical drive when split jerking, which is a common problem.

If you can be more specific about what your problem is with the split jerk, we can give you better advice I'm sure.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Jackson Yee

Thanks Greg! I just don't feel that aggresivness that I feel when I power jerk. For example, the stomping of both feet makes me feel more forceful and quicker. For the split, I just don't feel the aggresive redipping as how I do with the push jerk. Does this make sense? So should I do one rep of push jerk and do one set of splits?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

You can try pause split jerks to force yourself to be more aggressive driving under since you won't be able to get as much height on it.

Or you can wear yourself out a bit with push jerks before the split, so a set might look like 1-3 push jerks followed by 1 split jerk.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Jackson Yee

What are pause split jerks? And it for the push jerk/split combo, is it a good thing to try to wear yourself out before you do the split movement?

thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Yee View Post
What are pause split jerks?
Pause (hold for 2-3 sec) in bottom of dip position then drive from a dead stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Yee View Post
And it for the push jerk/split combo, is it a good thing to try to wear yourself out before you do the split movement?
Not necessarily, but if your problem is, as you say, not being aggressive enough in driving under, getting tired first will prevent you from driving the bar as high, which will force you to be more aggressive driving down into the split to make it. Again, this is all based just on what you've said vaguely and I might go about it differently if I actually saw you lift.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal