Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Daniel Mumm

Default Bicep Tendinitis

Ok so... I've scoured the internet for answers to this and I've found nothing good. I've also visited many PT's / AT's, who all seem to be useless because they understand nothing about this injury within the context of weightlifting (one PT actually said, "olympic weightlifting? That's like bench press and stuff right?" -- I walked out). So I figured this would be a good place to ask; I'm sure weightlifting coaches probably know more about this injury than any of the PT's/AT's I talked to.

So I've made the move from general strength/conditioning (with some weightlifting) to just weightlifting. I'm on Greg's 4-week strength program ( http://www.catalystathletics.com/wor...php?cycleID=30 ). It's certainly more volume than I've ever done with some movements (anything overhead, particularly).

The pain in my distal biceps has gotten excruciating. I attempted to max out my lifts today as part of day 5 of the program. I couldn't snatch 50kg because I couldn't hold the weight over my head at the bottom of an OHS. To give you an idea my 1rm DL is about 410lbs and my back squat is around 310lbs. After snatching I tried to max my C+J but the pain was so bad in the front rack I had to stop. I'm sure some of you know how frustrating this is, leaving in the middle of my workout on max day.

I don't know much about this subject but if I had to GUESS, I would guess that internally rotated shoulders in overhead positions put more load on your biceps which wears down the tendons. But I could be completely wrong.

Sorry for the long intro, this is my first post here. Basically what I need answered are two questions:

1) What, SPECIFICALLY in the context of weightlifting, causes bicep tendinitis? If you say "lots of overhead activity causes it brah" I'm gonna have an aneurysm. I need to know what compromised positions are mechanisms of injury for bicep tendinitis in weightlifters. Obviously, technically correct overhead exercise doesn't cause tendinitis or else nobody would be able to do high volume weightlifting programs.

2) What can I do before my workouts to fix the CAUSE of this problem? What can I do to correct my shoulder position? Right now I'm doing a lot of mobility work, about a half hours worth before I even start lifting, which is annoying. Usually I do dislocators, the stretch where you lie on your back with a foam roller under your T-spine/hold the bar with a snatch grip/pull your head forward, and some other dynamic movements.
Daniel Mumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Daniel Mumm

btw, for reference, here is one of my sad, sad, sad attempts at 50kg. (Pretty sure I can muscle snatch like 75kg lol)

http://v.coachseye.com/58sl

awful I know, just wanted to post it so you could see how my mobility problem is affecting my lifts.
Daniel Mumm is offline   Reply With Quote