Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Wendy Nelson

Default Pendlay Barbell

Could someone tell me if the Pendlay barbell end cap has always had a snap ring?

http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/penebucl.html w/f/s/
Wendy Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Derek Simonds

My Pendlay bar does not have the snap ring. It is probably 3 years old and was the nicer mens bar when I bought it. It is a pressed in metal cap. I actually had to remove one side because the cap got dented and was preventing the sleeve from turning.

Hope that helps.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Arien Malec

Glenn has a forum now....

http://pendlayforum.com/index.php

Don't know if you can cuss on it.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Wendy Nelson

Thanks that does help, I was wondering about past bars they produced. Seems like there are a lot more offerings for barbells these days. Makes it hard to choose

I took a peek at the new Pendlay forum too and maybe some reviews of the new nexgen bar will pop up there.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Steve Liberati

Not sure about the new bars but we bought several Pendlay bars about a year and a half ago and sad to say we were very dissappointed with the craftmanship of it. After only using for a few months the metallic coating at each end of the bar peeled off, creating metal splinters. I sent in pictures to where we bought them from and they assured me they would contact the manufacturer about the issue and get back to me...but after several emails over a month going back and forth I never heard a thing about it.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
Wendy Nelson

Well that probably explains why they have changed so much and switched the manufacturing process. If I thought I would appreciate WerkSan I would spend the money but I fear all that goodness would be lost on me.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
garrett stack

I have one of the old Pendlay bars with the black oxide shaft no centre knurling and pressed endcap .
I still think its a great bar and that the knurling is just right , like an old eleiko.
There is a werksan in the club that I lift in that tears the hands off me every time I use it.

I recently pulled the sleeves and cleaned and relubed them and the bar is good as new.
garrett stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Wendy Nelson

Youtube had some great vids on bar comparisons and I think I will roll the dice with Pendlay. 2010 will be a year of going overhead

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
glennpendlay

Thanks Wendy. If you have any problems or questions, shoot me an email, glennpendlay@muscledriverusa.com

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Butch White

I purchased one of the Pendlay NexGen bars in the early Fall and so far I am quite pleased. I had been using an old WFW econo bar and the NexGen is definitely an upgrade. The NexGen knurling is much better and the bar spins much more freely.

I wish I could justify the high end Werksan gear but with 3 numb nuts in college my equipment budget is a bit limited. Cheap ass bumpers plus a decent bar will have to do for now.
Butch White is offline   Reply With Quote