Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Jon Ivors

Default Knee problems

Hi everybody and thanks in advance for your help.

I've been having trouble with my knees. Especially the right one. I think it's patellar tendonitis. I've been icing it alot, took ibuprofen bomb and have been using EPA/DHA 1-2 grams daily. Took MRI photos of the right one and luckily there seems to be nothing too badly messed up; photos were ok. I've foam rolled my legs and streched them good too...

I took few weeks off from weightlifting and did only BJJ. It helped a bit but not that much. I still can't squat 100% (or even 70%). Since resting didn't really help, I started doing controlled 3-5 second pause squats with 50% and it feels ok. One day I was doing light squatting again and figured out that if I turn my toes (and knees) heavily out, there's no pressure on my knees and I feel no pain. Is it ok to squat this way? Why there's no pain in my knees when doing this? My foot angle is probably 50-60 degrees or even more.

Damn this is hard. Problem after another...
Jon Ivors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Jon Ivors

Another squat session and seems like I'm unable to activate glutes when squatting hip width. Immediately I feel the pain in my knees when using my normal stance, but when I spread my legs over hip width with feet out I can use glutes more...
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

A few questions and comments below:
1. What hurts it exactly? You mentioned that squatting with toes and knees out, there is no pain, but you didn't say what stance hurts your knees? Only with back squatting? All squat motions? Lunging? Stairs? high bar oly squats? What is your normal stance?

2. 1-2 grams/daily of EPA/DHA is more like a normal dosing, I would recommend doubling or tripling that amount for a short amount of time when you have a lot of inflammation.

3. I would say take it slow as you need to, I once had a nagging elbow tendinosis thing and when I finally felt like my elow was ~95% again I hurt myself again! The 2nd time around I just completely avoided movements that hurt it and took my rehab seriously. Go fast heal slow, go slow heal fast.

4. Foam rolling and stretching is all well and good but unless you can figure out what is the cause, what I mean by that is say one day you find a puddle in your kitchen, so you mop it up, you find a puddle everyday for the next few weeks. You mop it up consistently but it's always back, so intuitively there is something else wrong right? There is a leak going on somewhere that needs to be fixed. For now you need to find the root cause of your knee pain, so look upstream and downstream of your knee pain

Check out these videos below for some food for thought:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/e...-prep-hot.html
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/05/v...oral-pain.html

A great comprehensive article by Steven Low:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2011/0...urt-your-knee/
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Jon Ivors

1. Usually it hurts just below patella, but sometimes the pain is behind the knee. I know my hamstrings are tight so that might be one of the things that's causing it. It hurts when I sit down or get up; kneel down; do oly lifting; front/back squats; everything that includes bending the knees. It also hurts if I just put my weight on my toes. I don't even have to stand, it's enough if I sit and pressure toes on the ground pushing my leg forward. Worst thing is if I do a ATG squat with my own bodyweight on my tiptoes. I can't get up because it feels like my knees are shattering apart.

My normal squat stance is about hip width (wide hips) and feet little bit out.

2. I shall take more.

3. Easier said than done, but I will try =)

4. I've been seeing physical therapist every couple of months. He thought it was about muscle inbalance and weak(er) inner thighs which I personally think it's bullshhhhh...

Thanks for your reply and the links, will look into them.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Jon Ivors

Thought that I might as well keep you updated on this matter.

Thanks to Allen for the links. I think my power clean have been aggravating the tendonitis. Knees far forward, ass flat... Just like he showed the wrong way in the video. Ice and (even more) fish oil have been helping too.

Anyway, there's no more pain below the patella, but there's some BEHIND the knee.
Is it possible that high heeled oly shoes might cause this and the tendonitis? I have Do-Win's that have 4cm heel. Yesterday I squatted and did clean pulls with flat heel wrestling shoes and there was nearly no pain at all and I felt more stable.

I think it's time to buy new shoes.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

I'm not sure so I hesitate to offer an suggestions on the shoes and behind the knee pain.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ivors View Post
Thought that I might as well keep you updated on this matter.

Thanks to Allen for the links. I think my power clean have been aggravating the tendonitis. Knees far forward, ass flat... Just like he showed the wrong way in the video. Ice and (even more) fish oil have been helping too.

Anyway, there's no more pain below the patella, but there's some BEHIND the knee.
Is it possible that high heeled oly shoes might cause this and the tendonitis? I have Do-Win's that have 4cm heel. Yesterday I squatted and did clean pulls with flat heel wrestling shoes and there was nearly no pain at all and I felt more stable.

I think it's time to buy new shoes.

Knee pain is notorious for referring away from the injury.

The subtle type of pain you are describing is high on my list of nothing the fuck with. Do whatever you can to stay active but my advice is no lifting that causes ANY knee pain AT ALL.