Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Chad Lammert

Default Snatch Practice

Hi guys-

Its been a while since I've posted a video on the snatch. I had a lot of excellent feedback last time and really wanted to focus on the things that were discussed. Now that I've had time to iron out some major kinks, I wanted to post this video to see where to go from here:

http://youtu.be/x8u5LehcFSY

Please take a look.

Here are some of the things I see here that I like:
-movement off the floor
-extension of the legs before the hips
-solid back arch
-(and even though you might not be able to tell) my head position at the top of the pull is very much improved from the launching backward mess that it was

Some of the things I don't quite like:
-I think I need to continue moving back on my heels more before taking off in the second pull
-I do not like my speed getting under the bar
-I don't often feel strong when doing the snatch

A little more background: This is the first day of week 5 in the classic/position cycle from the book, which leaves 7 weeks to go. Furthermore, this is day 4 of my 30 day attempt to eat more than 1g protien/lb of body weight--I've been getting frusterated with my body's unwillingness to lift as heavy as I'd like, so I'm hammering down on recovery and feeding my body as much as I can.

Also, next time I'll wear a shirt for sure. Today it was 86 in the gym with a broken A/C--it was just too damn hot and sticky for cotton.

Thanks all for taking a look and helping me get better,

Chad
Chad Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Blair Lowe

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to run in 240P instead of 360. It's choppy at 360 and I couldn't get the pause/play button to work well.

The one thing I see is you rock forward as you squat up from the bottom of the OHS. Stay back on the heels and keep the torso vertical, blah blah.

I was trying to figure out why you ended up forward but it's not as bad in the second lift.

I'm not sure you really need to work a dynamic start. Hell, I love doing it but I was told to not do it. Sometimes I feel I need to when it gets heavy but I know at times my form can suffer and it's harder on my CNS when I do (I'm good for maybe 3 reps with it before I'm shitcanned).

Generally a better angle than the side is one that is diagonal from the front. Just saying.

The lift looks pretty good to me, but I can't really see the speed issues because it runs like ass on this ancient laptop.

You might be right about staying back on your heels but I can't slow mo it well enough to detect. Maybe if I were to download it and convert it to something I could frame by frame. That might take a billion secs to redo on this old monstrosity.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Chad Lammert

Blair-

Thanks so much for your response. I see what you mean about the hip action in the OHS. Will focus on that in upcoming workouts.

I don't know if the video posted was a problem on my end or yours, but I will try to post another video (this time from a diagonal veiw) this weekend or possibly Monday depending on how my schedule works out. I'll try Greg's new youtube text wrap too and see if I can get that to work. Definitely looking for feedback so that I can improve.

Anyway, Blair, thanks and I will repost soon!

best,

Chad
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Blair Lowe

It's on my end. It's called a PIII-800mhz with 384mb of sdram on a laptop that is probably circa 2001. Maybe.

By the end of the month, I'll be building a tower again from scraps to do school with. Won't play DiabloIII (probably a good thing) but at least I can use it to video edit when I capture video off my tablet (when it gets back from RMA).

If I boot up Firefox, I might be able to download the youtube video with RealPlayerDownloader and I should be able to play the FLV alright. System still plays decent video files locally.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Jason Gordon

My feedback is as follows:

- Your first pull looks good.

- It looks to me that the bar's bouncing off your hips. You don't want your hip drive to overwhelm the leg drive through the ground.

- Following from the last point, the bar just zooms out in front of you. This is why you feel slow getting under the bar. If the bar's way in front, it'll take you longer to get under it Not to mention having to chase after it.

- OHS looks good to me.
Jason Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Chad Lammert

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and get another video up there today from a diagonal POV which might be more helpful for diagnosing issues. Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Chad Lammert

(couldn't firgure out the embedding)

Alright, I have a few more videos this time all of which are from a diagonal angle--I hope it helps.

The first video is the barbell complex I use before starting every workout. Its a mix between coach B's warm up and tall snatch/clean complex. I always start with an empty bar and add weight (light) for three to four sets. My goal is not only to warm up but learn to keep the barbell close to my body when snatching and clean and jerking. Here it is:

Next, here are two videos of my heavy snatch efforts (155 lbs and 160 lbs). Neither of these are very pretty and the second video I had to jump forward to receive the bar. If I could get some feedback to concentrate on I would be very grateful. Here they are:

and

thanks again

Last edited by Greg Everett; 07-25-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: embedded videos
Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

Warm-up -

Slow down! You're burning through those reps like you're racing a clock. Take the time to set each one up.

The first drill is not doing what you're intending it too. First, you're immediately trying to shrug the bar up before you're even done extending the legs/hips. Don't shrug it up, pop it up w the lower body and use the shrug as a way to give the bar somewhere to go. You're way too tense. Lats engaged to keep the bar in, but arms relaxed. Also, open up! Keep your head up and your chest up/back. You're hunching over the bar as you extend - probably tied to the shrugging emphasis. Finish w your shoulders back, not rounding forward, and your head up. And just take it down a notch - it's the empty bar. If you try to move it like it has 100 kg on it, you won't be able to perform the movement completely and smoothly.

The tall snatch isn't really a tall snatch. You're hipping the bar up and swinging yourself down around it. Stand tall, elbows out without rounding the shoulders. Pick up your feet, THEN pull the elbows high and out to move down under the bar. No upward lift of the bar before the feet move. Pull straight down, push straight up.

Snatch -

The pull from the floor is pretty good. You maintain good posture and move your weight back well. Once you're past the knees, though, you throw your head back, which will encourage you to reach the hips to the bar rather than pushing the bar back to your hips. The latter will help you extend completely while remaining properly balanced, whereas the former will have you moving into the bar, which means less speed, worse timing and bad balance.

Related to the hip problem - you need to punch down w the legs as you snap the hips open. It's like trying to accelerate off a soft base. Punch the legs up and then pick the feet up to reconnect them flat with the ground right under the bar. You're puling too long - punch the legs and snap the hips, then immediately pick up the feet and pull down like described for the tall snatch above.

Finally, you need to be way more aggressive pulling under - you're nearly just falling under the bar rather than moving yourself under it actively. Accelerate down by pulling the elbows up and out hard, then turn and punch yourself down against the bar into the squat.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Chad Lammert

Greg, thank you for your feedback. I've been waiting to reply so that I could think about your response, particularly in the snatch feedback section:

Quote:
Once you're past the knees, though, you throw your head back, which will encourage you to reach the hips to the bar rather than pushing the bar back to your hips. The latter will help you extend completely while remaining properly balanced, whereas the former will have you moving into the bar, which means less speed, worse timing and bad balance.

Related to the hip problem - you need to punch down w the legs as you snap the hips open. It's like trying to accelerate off a soft base. Punch the legs up and then pick the feet up to reconnect them flat with the ground right under the bar. You're puling too long - punch the legs and snap the hips, then immediately pick up the feet and pull down like described for the tall snatch above.
I think I get the head back concept and it is something I've been really working on to the point that i've made a target in my garage gym that I try to keep my eyes on at all times. I think that I just don't understand how to open up correctly in the 2nd pull. And, because I can't think through it conceptually, I can't practice it. I don't totally get what you mean by punching down with the legs and snapping the hips open like accelerating off a soft base--at least to the extent that it is different from what I am already doing. When I really break my video down, I can sort of see myself moving forward in the 2nd pull as the bar approaches my hips (and again on the pull under... but I'll try to fix that another time). And again with "punch the legs up and pick the feet up"... How do you open up from the first pull with vertical hips and without losing tension all the tension you've just built? I can't even conceptualize it.

I'm frustrated, but I totally appreciate your feedback. Hope all is well.

Chad
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Chad Lammert

I keep watching this series by Tommy Kono for help and I'm hoping the information here agrees with what you're describing, particularly at 5:29:

I've heard you say a million times that there is too much information out there and a lot of people are just confusing themselves. I don't want that to be the case, especially with these videos. What do you think about this info in his seminar here? I just want to know if you guys are saying the same thing... then I need to figure out what I'm not getting.