Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 09-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Courtney Modecki

Default Rectus Femoris rupture, return to lifting?

Three weeks ago when HB squatting I felt/heard a pop in my right hip. I stopped squatting, iced, took NSAIDs, and took off an entire week from the gym. The day I injured it my hip became so painful I could barely walk or move. I was able to get in and see my Ortho about 2 weeks post injury and he is the one who diagnosed it as a partial detachment of the rectus femoris from the hip. However, he wasn't very helpful regarding how to prevent it from happening again or how to rehab it. I wasn't doing a weight that was overly heavy, as I was doing an LP and regularly squat reps at that weight, and was only lifting 5#s more than the week before when I had no problem, and a weight I have done hundreds of reps at in the past. That hip flexor often feels tight, and every day before I train I do a series of hip openers including couch stretch. I have a severely anterior rotated pelvis, likely from sitting in rush hour traffic and at a desk for 10 hours or so 5 days a week. Would that be enough to cause the pull from the bone? I have been working on hip stretches and glute activation work, but not sure how long it takes to correct a postural imbalance like this? It has now been 3 weeks post injury and I am back to training, but doing mostly upperbody work such as press, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. Does anyone suggest a good progression to return to squatting? Should I wait until I can get through the ROM completely pain-free? My ortho said he didn't think it was a bad tear, and I have been doing E-stim and therapeutic Ultra Sound at home every day if I can. I have also had a number of ART sessions. Looking for input on returning to lifting though, and haven't been able to dig anything up online. Any help is appreciated!
Courtney Modecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Modecki View Post
Three weeks ago when HB squatting I felt/heard a pop in my right hip. I stopped squatting, iced, took NSAIDs, and took off an entire week from the gym. The day I injured it my hip became so painful I could barely walk or move. I was able to get in and see my Ortho about 2 weeks post injury and he is the one who diagnosed it as a partial detachment of the rectus femoris from the hip. However, he wasn't very helpful regarding how to prevent it from happening again or how to rehab it. I wasn't doing a weight that was overly heavy, as I was doing an LP and regularly squat reps at that weight, and was only lifting 5#s more than the week before when I had no problem, and a weight I have done hundreds of reps at in the past. That hip flexor often feels tight, and every day before I train I do a series of hip openers including couch stretch. I have a severely anterior rotated pelvis, likely from sitting in rush hour traffic and at a desk for 10 hours or so 5 days a week. Would that be enough to cause the pull from the bone? I have been working on hip stretches and glute activation work, but not sure how long it takes to correct a postural imbalance like this? It has now been 3 weeks post injury and I am back to training, but doing mostly upperbody work such as press, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. Does anyone suggest a good progression to return to squatting? Should I wait until I can get through the ROM completely pain-free? My ortho said he didn't think it was a bad tear, and I have been doing E-stim and therapeutic Ultra Sound at home every day if I can. I have also had a number of ART sessions. Looking for input on returning to lifting though, and haven't been able to dig anything up online. Any help is appreciated!

First thing is first, go fast heal slow, go slow and heal fast. Throughout the years for the few injuries I have had, and of my wife's major surgeries that phrase cannot be more true.

In regards to the postural work, just think how low it took you to get there and think what you are doing still on a daily basis. The sitting is almost unavoidable but there are things you can do to "sit" better Kelly Starrett had a hour long talk at Google about sitting and well worth the watch.

Also I would recommend this article http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._force_couples as well as the Neaderthal No More article series
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

This article details the protocol for rehabing a strain:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...uscle-strains/

If you need something more specific depending on your condition, feel free shoot me an e-mail.

Ideally, it would be a good idea to see a PT personally, but I know how many in my profession for some reason hate squatting even though it's a fundamental movement.

Fixing the APT would definitely help to a certain extent most likely, but the rehab will be need to done regardless for it.