Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #21
Kevin Anderson

Pierre, do you have any pics of your gym?
Kevin Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #22
Allen Yeh

I wish I was neighbors with Ronnie! sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Ashlock View Post
I take one Olympic weightlifting class a week in Sumner, WA under John Thrush. I'd go more often (every time I could) if work and location allowed it. So I sub my home and some other facilities as way-points to the Saturday class with Thrush. I've also hopped around to various CF affiliates around Puget Sound (Rainier CF, CF Eastside and now I occasionally show up at CF North for Olympic weightlifting with a few of my teammates who also train in Sumner). Other than that, it's all at home in my garage. Most of it started by combing through the CF archives and going by what was recommended. Here's the current toy list:

A Chapman Power Elite Olympic Barbell - Very nice
A Pendlay Men's 20 KG Olympic Barbell (on its way as I write this)
Homemade lifting platform
IronMind Vulcan II Squat Racks
IronMind Bench
4 kettlebells, of which, 3 are DD KBs (20 kg, 24 kg, and 32 kg) and one 32 kg competition KB from Valery Fedorenko's group (American Kettlebell Club)
1 set of cheap 35 # dumbbells from Play it Again Sports
2 20# Dynamix Balls
1 20# D-Ball
1 BFS Glute Ham Developer
A cheap, annoying BFS Barbell which I use for squats and the rare day I do bench work. I wish I had not purchased this bar, but it does have its uses.
A C2 Rower (in the house at the moment until things warm up)
Bumpers - BFS bumpbers in Pounds - 1 Pair of 10s, 1 pair of 25s, 1 pair of 35s, and 2 pairs of 45s
Eleiko Training Bumpers (look just like the certified bumpers used in competitions). in kilograms - 1 pair of 10s, 1 pair of 15s, 1 pair of 20s, 1 pair of 25s
Full 1-kilo rule Eleiko fractional weights
1 pair of rusty 5-Kilo fractional weights by Weider (Weider actually made weights in kilos?!) from Play it Again Sports
1 pair of 2.3 kilo weights, also from PiAS
1 Pair of Heavy Duty Lifting Straps from Glenn Pendlay and WFW
A tube of Nicoflex
A tube of Voltaren
A tube of Finalgon
1 pair of Rehband knee bands
1 pair of Adidas IronWorks II shoes
Home-Depot special pull-up bar

Had I to do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought the Olympic bar from BFS as I hate that thing - it's okay to use for squats, bench and deadlifts, but after about a month of trying to do real Olympic weightlifting training on it, I ponied-up and got the Chapman and it's been a really good bar. I also wouldn't have gotten my bumpers from BFS in pounds. In fact, if I had been smart, I wouldn't have bought any of my weightlifting gear from BFS at all. If I had waited about a year, I could have gotten a much better deal on all my Olympic stuff from Glenn Pendlay. He has the best deal around for folks wanting quality Olympic gear.

The Eleiko bumpers were a treat to myself for not having cable for five years, not going out and buying a new video game console (or consoles as the case may be with some of my friends) and paying off my car a few years ago (and not going out and getting a new one). I hemmed and hawed on them, because they were so expensive, but decided it was no more than some people pay on a set of golf-clubs or what not. I looked at a bunch of different vendors (Ivanko, York, Eleiko, Werksan) at the time and decided to go with Eleiko since the money wasn't drastically different. Real competition-grade bumpers by reputable companies are expensive no matter who you use. I lift with them just about every day, so I think I'm getting a pretty good return on my investment.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
Pierre Auge

Yeah if you go to capitalcrossfit.com and follow the link to the video blog or just look at the pics you'll see the gym.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #24
Kevin Anderson

Very nice. I like the pullup bars.
I wouldn't expect a tortilla factory in Canada.
Kevin Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #25
Ronnie Ashlock

Allen, if you are ever in Washington, you are more than welcome to use the garage. I'd love to have some cool neighbors into training. Mostly, though, they either jog, walk dogs or push baby strollers.
Ronnie Ashlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #26
Billy_Brummel

I go over to the High school across the street. They have about 12 squat rack/lifting platform setups and various free weights. I really lucked out in that I get to lift with their throws team and some other, more experienced throwers. It's good to be around folks throwing around a lot of weight-gives me something to work towards.
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #27
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

When your here, you can hella train.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gym.JPG (47.8 KB, 37 views)

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #28
Greg Everett
Administrator

mike's gym as of last august. prior to that at norcal strength and conditioning with those 3 dorks. oh wait.

PS, do you guys like how i trained aimee to say hella all the time? it's hella rad.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #29
-Ross Hunt

Spoon Barbell Club in Richardson (North DFW) Texas twice a week, once alone, once with all the guys. It's a garage gym, but it's adequate. You might say it righteous hella sweet.

Twice a week at the University of Dallas gym. It is... not. Think cybex and Body-Mass-Index-challenged girl's basketball players doing bunny-hop plyometrics. At least there's a platform.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #30
Allison Barns

CrossFit North in Seattle, WA. Even after a crazy day at work, I walk in that place and suddenly all is right with the world.
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote