Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Michelle Baillargeon

Default How to fix high bar squatting

I spent about 2 years low bar back squatting before changing focus to Olympic lifting. I'm struggling with high bar back squatting as well as front squatting. My back squat looks like a low bar squat in the high bar position. i'm thinking of cutting my weights way back to try and fix this but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on fixing this/share experiences. Cheers!
Michelle Baillargeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
carlos cruz

I was probably in the same boat as you. However it was more that it was just an entire different movement and position. The weight at least is I would say at least 10% less than my low bar squat.
If your training for oly lifts though, I would say this really doesn't matter as much since the squat is mainly an assistance to your main lifts. As for both squats and especially the Front Squat the more you do them the more your body will become accustomed to the movements.
Make sure your doing your mobility work where it's needed. Greg's book has a whole section on the flexibility standards for the lifts and mobility work.
carlos cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

First, be patient - you can't fix two years of anything without investing some time and effort.

Second, yes, you're going to have to accumulate a lot of volume squatting properly, which will mean reducing weight until you can do that. This doesn't mean you never squat heavy - it means that the vast majority of your squatting volume needs to be correct. For example, squat light-medium every single day. Sets of 3-5 or more with weight that allows perfect reps. Even try pause squats so you can really strengthen that deep position with an upright posture and focus on maintaining it as you recover.

When you work up to heavy weights, keep any heavy reps low, e.g. singles or doubles, and build up a lot of volume as you warm-up - this is more practice and training to fix the squat and will help those heavier sets be better. Then after those heaviest sets, do a few back off sets with a reduced weight and 3-5 reps, again making sure they're done right.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Tamara Reynolds

If you can stand listening to my voice ramble for 5 minutes, I made a video a while ago addressing some of these specific issues. I have a lot of people at my gym who low bar and a lot of people who have moved back and forth between low bar and high bar. This isn't supposed to be a video teaching a new person how to squat, but it's meant to address some of the challenges people often face when switching from low bar to high bar.

Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote