Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Tom Borak

Default Drills to emphasize OPENING the hips

I've been working with my athletes through the three-position C&J and snatch. We've used lots of footwork drills, snatch balance, jerk boxes etc.

I've got one athlete - and he's a GOOD athlete - who cannot carry over the full hip extension from these drills to his full power C&J or snatch. He's on the money from the mid- and high-hang positions, but he's so concerned with getting under the bar that he shorts his hip extension almost every time he pulls from the floor.

Can you recommend anything that may help correct this, or is it just going to take repetition? I have been toying with high, near max-effort box jumps that require the hips to fully open and then snap closed to get the feet high enough to land the jump. Thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Borak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

I like your idea -- your reasoning makes sense.

I would also suggest high-hang or block snatch/cleans with the bar set at above knee or mid-thigh. That should help him understand the need to finish his pull up before beginning his pull under the bar. Once he grabs a hold of the concept, work the bar down the legs until the bar starts on the floor.

Another could be doing pulls + lift complexes. It could be something like 2 pulls + 1 snatch/clean. The pulls will help him feel the full extension and help it start becoming muscle memory.

I hope that helps you and your lifter.

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Thomas Brenden

What about dialing his weight back a bit so he doesn't have to be so concerned about getting under, and increase the volume a little bit, and slowly take his weight back up? Just a thought.
Thomas Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Tom Borak

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The box jumps really helped him to focus the application of power from the hang.

Thomas - we've been working between #65-#95 for the bulk of our technique work from the hang and then #135-#155 from the blocks. Great suggestion and I agree with you 100%.

Javi - breaking it down with the pull from mid-thigh helped a lot.

I also had him slow down his progression into the high hang and focus on getting the bar in the right position for the big jump.

Thanks for your help, guys. I really appreciate it.

Tom
Tom Borak is offline   Reply With Quote