Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Sandon Viers

Default Snatch/Clean Form Critique

Hey guys/gals,

If any of you could take some time and critique my form, I would greatly appreciate it! The clean is a PR at 235. The snatch is close to max weight, I tried to catch in bottom position but no luck. My main problem with the snatch is the OHS/bottom position as I feel very weak/unstable. Thanks in advance for the help!

Clean : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2sc2cBI48

Snatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlX0yfbewPc

Sandon Viers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Clean -

Not bad. I would keep you a bit more upright though - knees to far back too soon so your shoulders are too far forward of the bar.

be more patient w the arms and keep your upper back locked in - use your body to get that final explosion on the bar. Right now you're rowing it a bit, which is why your upper back curls down over the bar rather than staying extended and moving up and back as you extend at the top.

Snatch -

Chest up a bit more as you're moving from the floor to the knees. Wait longer to extend the hips (explode/jump) - get the bar up to at least mid-thigh - part of this is staying flat-footed w pressure on the heels to this point as well.

Keep your eyes forward throughout the lift - that means don't whip your head back at the top of the pull, and don't look down once it's overhead. The head whip may be contributing to your somewhat excessive hip through the bar with no leg drive at the top. Get teh bar to mid to upper thigh, then explode the hips open AS you punch your heels down through the floor.

Don't try to catch the snatch in the bottom - catch it where you lift it, which with this weight is obviously fairly high. But you do need to ride it down into the squat immediately and smoothly as one action rather than pausing. However, you can't do that in this case because you're moving forward and have to stabilize and reposition in order to squat. Fix your balance in the pull and this will be much easier.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Sandon Viers

Thanks a bunch for the advice, I'll start working on it immediately! I've been following your 12 strength cycle program from your book. Is there a better program to follow that you would advise since my main issue is technique?
Sandon Viers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

That program is fine, just throw in some technique work in your warm-ups and make it a priority during all training.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote