I doing Wendler's 531.
The weight is 215# for 10 reps.
Thanks an advance.
Bill
http://youtu.be/bPElrdc6v7c
Bill Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Tamara Reynolds

Are you trying to pull off the floor like this is a conventional deadlift, or are you trying to use your clean setup?

Either way, your hips are shooting up first, and you are completely losing your back extension when this happens. You really need to focus on setting your back hard. Squeeze your chest up as if you were trying to point your chest at the wall in front of you.

If you get your hips up higher at the start, this will help with your hips shooting up first. If you are trying to pull with lower hips because that is how you set up for your clean, then your chest and hips need to rise together so that your hips don't move first like they are now.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Tamara already addressed the hips shooting thing.

Other things I saw, next time try for a better camera angle:

1. Hip extension, a few of the reps it didn't look like you reaching full hip extension, and it looked like you were hyperextending to compensate.

2. Keep your head neutral

3. It looks like were arms were bending a bit, be careful especially if you use a mixed grip, you'll end up like me and hurt a bicep doing that. It hurt to even move groceries for weeks after I did that.

4. Upper back rounding, from the angle it looked like you were caving over on the shoulders, which is linked to what Tamara said about keeping your chest up.

Eric Cressey had a great deadlift tutorial series along with videos, here is a decent article by Tony Gentilcore as well. http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/5...cues-deadlift/ Mark Bell also has a ton of videos on the youtube speaking about the deadlift.

Glad you weren't trying to bounce the weight and instead taking from a "dead stop" each time.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Bill Ennis

Default Deadlift Form Check

Hi Tamara and Allen;
I really appreciate your responses. As the weights get heavier(for me) I want to make sure my form and technique are correct so as not to injure myself.
Tamara: This lift is a conventional Deadlift.
I understand your first comment about setting my back hard and keeping my chest up. I like the point about pointing my chest at the wall in front of me. I am not clear on your second paragraph ,though. Setting my hips higher at the start seems counter-intuitive but does that keep them from shooting up first? Since they're already up , they won't go higher. I keep the phrase, " Butt Down , Chest Up" in my mind when I do this lift, but it doesn't seem like I'm suceeding at it. I figured if my Butt was lower at the start, it wouldn't go up before my shoulders but that's not what is happening.
I envision a triangle with the bar, my shoulders and hips as the angles of the triangle. I try to set the angles correctly at the start and keep them that way on the way up.
Is that a correct way to envision it?

Allen: Thank you for those tutorial links- I will check them out.

Once again, thank you both for your time and answers.
Bill
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Tamara Reynolds

When you think about where your hips should be, remember that the deadlift is a pull and not a squat. You cannot squat a heavy deadlift off the floor. The deadlift is a back exercise first and foremost.

I personally start all deadlifts with the bar over the middle of my foot, take my grip without moving the bar, touch my shins to the bar and shove my knees out without moving the bar, and then squeeze my chest up to set my back. This means the bar is over the middle of my foot when I go to pull, and the height of my hips is completely dictated by my anthropometry and not some random vision of what I think my start position should look like.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Bill Ennis

Hi Tamara;
Once again, thank you for your time and help.
The more I re-read your comments as well as Allen's, and the links provided, I'm getting a clearer and clearer vision of what the deadlift should be.

I especially like your comment about the deadlift being a back exercise and not a squat- I think I was kind of making it a hybrid squat-like exercise.

Thanks again.
Bill
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Bill Ennis

Allen;
Thanks for the Eric Cressey info. His facility is about 40 minutes from my house.
I'm going there later today for a hands on evaluation.
Bill
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ennis View Post
Allen;
Thanks for the Eric Cressey info. His facility is about 40 minutes from my house.
I'm going there later today for a hands on evaluation.
Bill
Nice, his facility seems to be top notch definitely let me know your impressions.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote