Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Richard Bendekovic

Default 1st Meet (Masters) C&J

Made this lift at the IV Open Nacional (Spain) Masters, which included a Masters Spain v. Portugal competition for the more accomplished lifters. C&J of 93 a half kilo PR, neither of which are necessarily post worthy except I spent a few months on this forum posting my struggles with the jerk so I felt compelled to post what I view as progress. Also, I got a red light (card in this case) and not sure why. Maybe someone in the forum sees what that judge saw. Any critique is appreciated but understand I just recently jerked over 80 kilos for the first time, despite being able to clean 95 fairly easy for some time and with nerves of the competition having a greater effect on me than anticipated, I just wanted to rip it off the ground and get to the jerk. Once I hit the platform my only thoughts were of aggression and speed on the jerk. Anyway just publicizing something from my first meet experience hope I don't come off too goofy, and as always thanks.

Richard Bendekovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Hey, great work! That was awesome. I'm glad you got to compete and get those jitters out of the way. You looked very strong and confident.

I think the reason you were red-lighted is because of a slight press out in your left arm. At least that's what the video suggests to me.

Either way, great lift. Keep up the hard work!

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

Yeah could have been the arm... but I would have white-lighted that lift.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Javier Sanjuan

I agree with Greg.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
Richard Bendekovic

Thanks Javier, and while I have your attention. I would like to keep competing but I have to get my total up. Any general thoughts for an almost 47 year old new to weightlifting with a career and family looking to maximize training time? (I think I know the answer, snatch, C&J, squat every session)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Javier Sanjuan

Richard,

My training partner is actually in a similar situation. He's roughly the same age as you and, while he's a retired US Marine after 20 years of service, he does have a very young son and another child on the way. He's a stay-at-home dad that works out when he drops off his son at school, which only started recently. Before that, he would train whenever he got the chance. His method was to really break down his training days to what best suited his needs and recovery. He keeps his workouts to about 1 hour. You can check his blog where he posts all his workouts here: www.bisonbarbellclub.blogspot.com.

You have to look at a couple of things: how much time do you have? How many days? What's your recovery looking like?

I think you would benefit a wide range of programs available out there. Obviously, you want one that will focus on technique work as you continue to progress since you're relatively new. That focus shouldn't really waiver, in my opinion, as you continue to get better. As you get stronger, so should your technique continue to get better. Remember, perfect practice makes perfect. You're going to have your strengthening exercises (squats, snatch/clean pulls and deadlifts, push presses, etc.) that will complete your technique development (snatch, clean and jerk, and different variations, such as off of blocks, power, or hang). Since you're new, your total will see it's most dramatic improvements given that you continue to lift with proper technique. I also recommend lifting with a quality coach or club that provides good feedback.

Most training programs throw all this stuff together. They might look something like this:
  • Classic lift # 1
  • Classic lift # 2
  • Classic lift pull
  • Squat
  • Pressing
  • Perhaps some assistance movement, like an Romanian DL or stiff-legged DL

It looks like a lot, and that's exactly my training partner's sentiments. He doesn't have time to break that up into two sessions, nor does he have the ability to recover quite as well if he were to execute all those lifts in one day. What he decided to do was break that list down into two separate days. He continues to get stronger and is very happy with his progress. I admire his ability to get stronger and more proficient.

Again, if you want, take a look at his blog and see how he's breaking his days down. If you want, you can contact him to talk more about his approach since you guys share a very similar situation. He's extremely approachable and a very good friend of mine. I can't say enough about him. Most of the time, the best way to get knowledge is by talking and surrounding yourself with similar athletes and sharing experiences. After that, it's up to you to determine what works best for you! Remember to listen to your body and adjust your program to meet your needs.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to answer as well as I possibly can. I think Greg will agree with me on what I wrote (at least I hope) should he read this. He also has a list of training programs that are excellent.

Best,
Javi

Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Richard Bendekovic

Captain,
Thanks a ton!! I really appreciate the time. I took a quick look at your training partner's blog, I will have a tough time with that kind of volume and that guy is way strong!! But it is a great guide and something to work towards/with. I have posed programming questions like this previously and have received similar feedback from knowledgeable people like yourself on this forum (an indicator of good advice) and I read this website more than the news. I hope no one one is insulted that I sought the same advice from you after receiving theirs, I am trying to take it all in and besides, you never know from where the nugget that resonates will come. Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Tamara Reynolds

Congrats, and good work. I totally would have given you a white light on that lift.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Javier Sanjuan

Richard,

No problem! Please, call me Javi -- I get enough of that at work.

Yeah, it does look volume heavy, but he's shortened it down to manageable time frames. He has deload weeks incorporated into his schedule before he starts to feel uber-sluggish. I figured you'd enjoy reading his blog since both of you share the experience of starting at a later age. He started about a year and a half ago at the age of 40. The progress he's made amazes me, and I attribute my passion for weightlifting to him. He got me started by inviting me over on Saturday mornings to train with him. Now, we train regularly together, and his motivation and intensity are contagious. We feed off each other and it makes for a great training session. We scour books, material, and videos for new knowledge -- something I sense you're doing as well. Don't be afraid to ask him any questions you might have about his training approach -- I'm sure he can help you!

Don't feel bad about asking the same questions over and over. You need to ask and absorb all the information you possibly can, then pick what works best for you. Like you mentioned, you need to find that "nugget." I'm hardly as knowledgeable as most of the other people here, but thank you for the kind words.

Lastly, don't say that your lifts aren't "post-worthy." They're fantastic! You power cleaned a weight that many people crumble under -- it was practically a muscle clean. The fact that you post your videos on here for feedback is a testament to your steadfast character. You have to remember that EVERYONE started somewhere, some even with just a dowel or the bar. Your accomplishments thus far are a tribute to your dedication to a sport that people literally spend their entire lives trying to perfect. It's more impressive that you're starting now and determined to make yourself as good as you possibly can -- truly an inspiration. Be proud of what you've done. Cheers, my friend!

Best,
Javi

Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Richard Bendekovic

I went through his blog and can appreciate the commentary he includes with each post. I am going to reach out to you through the address on your blog. I am getting ready to move back to the states after several years overseas and I want to pick your brain on a couple things in addition to the lifts, if you have the time. Nothing too heavy.