Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Harlan Schulze

Default Question about knee position

When receiving a clean, and on the ascension of a front or back squat, what causes the knees to shoot into internal rotation?

Its not a stable position for the joint to be in under load, does anyone know how to correct it

Klokov does it a bit hear, Akkayev is worse.

Harlan Schulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

It's very common when trying to stand up with a heavy load. Try doing some Lateral X-Band walks to strengthen the outer part of the glutes. Also this may be from a weakness in the knees. You can do some terminal knee extensions for before or after your lifting at least 3 days a week.

Other than that you're just going to have to force your knees out as best you can.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Vythand Alagappan

Just practice the movement without weight and focus on proper positioning. Take a video of yourself if you can so that you can see any issues that you're not aware of. Personally I don't move on to heavier weights unless my positioning is correct, so while that may slow down my overall progress I'd rather move efficiently. So if you're having this issue maybe try back tracking a bit and only working up to weights were your knees are in proper positions. It may be a little bit frustrating in the beginning to back track but I think it's worth it. Kelly Starrett talks about squatting mechanics a lot so check out some of his stuff if you haven't already. If I remember correctly, this article by Coach Everett also talks about this a bit: http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...?articleID=135
Vythand Alagappan is offline   Reply With Quote