Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Max Bernosky

Default Jerk progression video analysis

Hi all,

It has been a few months since I last posted. Some of you gave me tips on my jerk. At the time my max was 225 and was failing the odd rep with it. I did what you said and I had slow steady progress until 275. Here is me failing 275 7 times for the second week in a row. What do I need to tweak?

First lift is me making 265, it felt very easy. The 275 attempts are done a week later. Attempt 4through 7 felt marginally better.

Max Bernosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Try t get the bar farther back toward your throat in the rack position and smooth out the start of the dip - you're dropping out from under it a bit, so the bar is stuttering on your shoulders. Then you get a bit bogged down in the bottom of the dip. If you can fix those 3 things, you should be able to make this wt. Smooth dip, be springy in the bottom of the dip, and keep the bar settled more securely in the rack position.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Max Bernosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Try t get the bar farther back toward your throat in the rack position and smooth out the start of the dip - you're dropping out from under it a bit, so the bar is stuttering on your shoulders. Then you get a bit bogged down in the bottom of the dip. If you can fix those 3 things, you should be able to make this wt. Smooth dip, be springy in the bottom of the dip, and keep the bar settled more securely in the rack position.
Thanks for the advice. Here are two attempts trying to do what you stated. I felt way better with the bar back in my throat like that. Does it look like it is fixed?

I don't quite get what you mean by smoothen the dip? I tried going slower for the dip, does it look better? Still failed though!

What do you mean by dropping out from under the dip?

is anything else popping out from this angle? or do you think I should be hitting this?! I feel like I'm popping it up decently high and should be sticking this with ease. I don't quite get it!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Watch the first rep - watch the ends of the bar bouncing as you dip. All that extra movement is from you starting to dip too abruptly - your shoulders drop out from under the bar, so the bar falls on your shoulders. You need that bar to stay totally connected to your shoulders as you dip and drive, so control the acceleration down in the dip so that you don't lose that connection.

Not to be a ball breaker, but you're not getting the bar as high as it sounds like you think. You either need to get it higher, change directions to get under it more quickly, get lower in the split, or all three.

You're also a little forward. Think of driving the bar back over the back of the neck and reaching the front heel and hips forward - hips under the bar, not behind it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Max Bernosky

I like the idea of getting the bar higher, changing directions faster, and having a deeper split, sounds like I would hit a massive PR if I could put that together lol.

I am a little uncertain with two things.

First, is bar bending on the dip an issue or normal? is it only an issue because i'm allowing the bend to slide the bar a little down my shoulders because of a shitty front rack? Or am I simply dipping too fast? When I do it right and the bar doesn't move on my shoulders, should the bar still bend during dip?

Second, as for being a little forward. When does this happen? Do my shoulders go in front of my hips on the dip? the drive? or when I accelerate under the bar because I am not pushing it back enough?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

The bar will bend during the dip - it should bend at the bottom of the dip just as it does in the bottom of a clean or front squat. That bend has nothing to do w the bar slipping or moving in your rack position - that movement comes from the bar not being secure enough in the rack position, which was why I told you to get it farther back.

RE being forward, watch the first 2 jrks on your first video. The 265 is good - you stay balanced on the dip and drive and you split under well, so you're under the bar and the bar is where it needs to be.

Then watch the next lift, the first missed 275. Watch the dip - you shift forward as you bend the knees, which then makes you move forward as you drive, which then makes the bar move forward and you move backward as you push against it and split. So you need to get that dip/drive balanced with the heavier weights, i.e. straight down and straight up, keeping your weight over your heels.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal