Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Kenny Markwardt

Default 2 Day a Week Weightlifting Program w/ CrossFit

Any thoughts on a good 2 day a week weightlifting program to develop technique/strength while also doing 5 days a week of CrossFit WODs and squat/deadlift/press strength?

Right now I'm thinking of focusing on one skill transfer movement per day with percentage lifts for both snatch and c&j.

First post here, great site. Thanks in advance! Especially to Greg, whose book(s), website and DVDs have been amazing for me.
Kenny Markwardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

I suggest using one of those days to snatch along with some snatch variations to improve/maintain technique and the other day for C&J/C&J variations. I think it would be best to dedicate a full training session to weightlifting and then fit in your CF workout afterwards or later in the day after some recovery (depending on your schedule).

To improve on your strength exercises (BS/FS/Press/etc), I would start out doing that exercise first when you're fresh and when your not trying to do 100 reps for time so you can actually work with a heavy load.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Kenny Markwardt

Interesting. That was what I was doing, but I felt like I had too far of a gap in between sessions and the muscle memory seemed like it wasn't developing. I realize 2 days a week is really light regardless, but I was thinking of trying to do both lifts on both days to get reps in closer together. Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Blake Barnes

Well, I think focusing on weightlifting movements for only two days a week isn't going to develop the nervous system as quickly regardless of what you do on either day.

If your weakness in CF is the weightlifting aspect, I would spend more time on the weightlifting movements. Preferably with a coach that specializes in weightlifting to be there to critique you. Then you can get your CF workouts in afterwards or later in the day.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Patrick Haskell

Also (it probably goes without saying on this forum, but I'll say it anyways), when you're doing cleans and snatches in your metcons, substitute dumbbells, and you will have an easier time retaining the mechanical learning you're doing on your 2-days of olympic lifting. If you max out your DBs and really want to work the lifts heavy in a fatigued state, try an each minute on the minute approach, rather than as fast as possible.
Patrick Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Tamara Reynolds

If you are not willing to reduce your number of WODs, which would be my number one suggestion, then what Patrick said is important. Absolutely cut out any WODs that involve snatches and clean and jerks. We have a good number of members of our competitive team who are dual members at one of several CrossFit affiliates. We don't let them count any high rep snatches or clean and jerks toward their total weightlifting volume for the week. And, what Blake said is also very important. Weightlifting sessions should be weightlifting sessions: Snatch, clean and jerk, squats. Don't try to throw a WOD on top of that. Realistically, if you are doing what you need to be doing in order to improve your weightlifting in two sessions a week, then you shouldn't have time to do a significant WOD in the same session anyway.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Kenny Markwardt

Awesome, thanks guys!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Matt Foreman

If you're only going to work the OLifts twice a week, my personal advice would be to focus completely on full snatches and clean and jerks on those two days. With only two sessions a week, you want to get as much bang for your buck as possible. I would spend both of those sessions doing SN/C&J. If you're a beginning or intermediate lifter, you'll need to spend a lot of time on skill development in the technique of the full lifts. The best way to do this with only two sessions a week is...do the full lifts.

Actually, I've been training twice a week for six or seven years now. I do it because I'm 40, can't handle much more than that, and I work 60+ hours a week. My workouts are:

Tuesday- SN, C&J, Squat (light)
Saturday- SN, C&J, Squat (heavy)

This wouldn't be enough work for a younger lifter, obviously. The point I'm making is that with only two workouts a week, you want to get maximum benefit out of your time. I personally think doing the full competition lifts is the best way to do that.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote