Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Peter Möller

Default Choosing shoes

So someones probably going to decapitate me for starting a thread about shoes when there´s already plenty on the topic. But I´ve been digging through alot of them already and none of them seemed relevant so I guess I´ll risk my non existing popularity on this board...
So! I´m buying a first pair of OLY shoes. Have no opportunity of trying them out before I buy as I´m restricted to web shops. Then again, this also means "endless options"...
So what´s a good bet in terms of what brand/model to choose?
I don´t mind paying for quality but on the other hand, I´m the one who´s gonna wear them so no need for "superduperallstarthousandsofdollarshoes that would win the olympics.
I´ve been looking at some of the "mainstream" brands like Rogue, Nike, Adidas but frankly have no idea how to "judge the quality" and most reviews seem to have different opinions, as is expected with such a personal item like shoes.
My only preference is a 3/4 heel....
Any general recommendations?
Thanks in advance for leaving my head on!
Peter Möller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Here are my thoughts. I personally lift in Nike's Romaleo's, gen 1 (got them on sale) and absolutely love them!! I have also lifted in Adidas (older models) and Dowins. I liked the Dowins pretty well, fit my slightly wider than average front foot quite well. Except for the 2000 model Adistars I had when I first started lifting, Adidas have always been too narrow and don't seem to stretch out that much (again, I have NOT lifted in the new Adipowers). The Nike's took a little bit of getting used to with the heaviness of the shoe and breaking in, but well worth it IMHO!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Peter Maxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Möller View Post
So someones probably going to decapitate me for starting a thread about shoes when there´s already plenty on the topic. But I´ve been digging through alot of them already and none of them seemed relevant so I guess I´ll risk my non existing popularity on this board...
So! I´m buying a first pair of OLY shoes. Have no opportunity of trying them out before I buy as I´m restricted to web shops. Then again, this also means "endless options"...
So what´s a good bet in terms of what brand/model to choose?
I don´t mind paying for quality but on the other hand, I´m the one who´s gonna wear them so no need for "superduperallstarthousandsofdollarshoes that would win the olympics.
I´ve been looking at some of the "mainstream" brands like Rogue, Nike, Adidas but frankly have no idea how to "judge the quality" and most reviews seem to have different opinions, as is expected with such a personal item like shoes.
My only preference is a 3/4 heel....
Any general recommendations?
Thanks in advance for leaving my head on!

If you dont like getting the wrong size in the mail I would think that you are restricted to running shoe companies whose sizes are the same as their lifting shoes. That just leaves adidas and nike.

This seems like a pretty honest physical comparison bwn the shoes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1MeJOChuOQ

I just bought myn son a pair of the adidas and he has a wide foot so maybe i bought him the wrong shoe!

cheers
Peter Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Peter Möller

Thanks alot for the replies. You make a good point about the shoe sizing. Although I have to admit, I´m a bit more inclined towards Rogue´s model than Adidas or Nike. Rogue seems to give good value for your money, whilst Adidas and Nike, although having quality products, I suspect you pay alot of money for the logo. Maybe it´s irrelevant but, I never really got along with "regular" Nike´s or Adidas, but the weightlifting shoes seem to be popular with alot of people.
But again, the sizing argument is not unessential.... According to the Rogue site however, the shoe "follows normal sizing". So with a bit of luck I might be able to hit the right size?
Peter Möller is offline   Reply With Quote