Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Chad Lammert

Default Week 4 - recovery week

I was really happy to see recovery week. Leading up to this week, my back has been sore and my hamstrings have been very tight. This week I dropped a lot of the accessory movements, including drop sets on the squats, and increased my attention to mobility. Going forward into next week, I'm going to spend 10-15 minutes each morning doing some lower body mobility movements and see how the rest of the week plays out.

A few PRs this week:
On Monday, after my heavy single, I went for 165-3 from the hang below the knee. I only did it because I was feeling good and someone in the gym had done it a little earlier--just wanted to see if I could. It was a PR.
On thursday, I hit a power snatch double PR at 150, and the clean/push press complex was a PR too at 165 (this was only because I have never done this complex before--automatic pr)

Highs/lows for the week:
Snatch: 181.5/170
CJ: 215/205 (I really hate to see the 215 and 205 here, and the 170 above)
FS: 255/255
BS: 315/0 (skipped BS on Saturday's workout--the other low was 305)

Looking forward to and a little anxious about next week. I'm not sure if I've been adapting to this program the way it has been intended, but I'll just keep showing up and doing what I can. In two weeks I'll be attending a cal strength seminar in Chicago and I'm hoping to learn a lot to bring back to the gym.
Chad Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Blake Barnes

Sounds like you're doing a good job of dedicating yourself to the program. Stick with it and don't get discouraged when you're lifts are feeling extra heavy on certain days. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Chad Lammert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
Sounds like you're doing a good job of dedicating yourself to the program. Stick with it and don't get discouraged when you're lifts are feeling extra heavy on certain days. Keep up the good work!
Thanks man
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Chad Lammert

Default Week 5

Good week, and a tough week. I started adding mobility movements in the morning, focusing on the high hamstrings and IT band--it really made a difference. This coming week, to battle the longer workouts, I'm going to do the squats in the am with the mobility. I understand this is not how the program is prescribed, but at least I'll be getting all the work in. Next weekend is the seminar with cal strength and I'm really looking forward to learning a lot that will benefit these workouts. Also, I'm loving the change of pace with the new movements introduced in week 5--its mentally refreshing.

PRs for the week:
Front Squat up to 280.5
Jerk at 225 from the rack (never hit that from the rack before even though my best CJ is 235)
Power Clean 205 for a double

Highs/lows for the week:
Snatch: 176/165 (this is really falling off)
CJ: 230/220 (happy to see 230 again)
FS: 280.5/260
BS: 315/315

Just want to also say, thanks for the feedback from you guys. Knowing that you're watching helps get me back in the gym on the days when I feel like not going. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Blake Barnes

Glad to know you're working in some mobility exercises, especially with all of the squats.

Let us know how breaking up the session is working for you.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
James Hitch

I just started this program on Monday and I'm curious... Around what percentage do you find yourself backing off to for the RX'd reps after the HS? Does it vary by your energy levels or are you aiming to keep it within a certain area? I'm still in the transition week and notice that its programmed around the 70-80% range for now
James Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
Charlie Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Lammert View Post
I'm starting this thread to help keep me compliant with the Double Day Squats and Heavy Weights program, and also to get your feedback on my progress. I'm planning on posting every week so that I'm held to finishing out this program--so far its been challenging and rewarding at the same time.

A little background on me:
  • I've been weightlifting a year and a half
  • I don't have a coach
  • My best lifts are 192.5 SN, 235 CJ, 270 FS, 330 BS

First week:
Snatch (High/Low): 176/175
CJ (H/L): 225/220
FS (H/L): 270 (pr)/ 255
BS (H/L): 320/295

Technical issue:
I had my friend video me for a few lifts and one thing I'm seeing in my Snatch is that when I reach the power position (hips at bar), I'm not on my heels. Do you have any suggestions for helping me fix this issue while staying compliant with this program? All thoughts are appreciated.

Here's one of the videos:

Thanks guys
I think the bar is slightly away from you before you even lift it off the floor, consequently it is in front and ends up arcing/looping around (short pull) hence the back and forth/rocking in the catch (well held!)

get the bar slightly closer to the shins/in very light contact and keep your chest up/push it out and keep that position throughout the pull/catch
Charlie Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote