Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Matt Reiland

Default Snatch critique

Hi,

I would appreciate any critique of my snatch technique. I have just started to focus on C&J/snatch, and wanted input on my technique before I get too far along and start to perfect bad habits.

A few things I noticed while watching the video:
1) It's eye-opening to see yourself, and what you think you look like and what you actually look like can vary significantly;
2) Even played at regular speed, it looks like I am moving in slow motion;
3) My knees never reach full extension, and it is questionable if my hips ever reach full extension;
4) I jump noticeably forward, like 3-4 inches.

What does everyone else see? What can I do to fix any problems? For what it's worth, this is a pretty light weight (~1/2 BW), but I don't think I'm physically capable of snatching too much more. I think I could pull heavier weights through the 2nd pull, but I'm not yet comfortable enough in the catch position to perform at higher weights. Will that comfort just come with practice?

Thanks in advance for the advice and comments.

(The video should appear upright and not rotated 90 degrees when you hit play)

Matt Reiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Paul Potter

Hi there. I'd recommend you watch these videos: http://www.californiastrength.com/vi...-weightlifting
click on the "snatch" and "clean" icons and they give you a really good tutorial for learning the lifts . Try and do what they tell you.

With regards to your video and your snatch:

Your start position is pretty decent, maybe just need to raise your hips a little bit. It's important to keep your shoulders directly over the bar.

In your first pull (floor to knee) you need to raise your hips and shoulders at the same rate. driving through your heels.

second pull, you need to extend those legs whilst keeping your shoulders over the bar. You do this, but you need to do it more. Also, keep that bar close to your thighs! essential. You pull with your arms when the bar is about halfway up your thighs, you need to keep those arms relaxed (think of them as cables) and let your body do the work.

to stop yourself from jumping forward try thinking about jumping backwards just a couple of inches. Hopefully that'll balance you out.

your catching position is really good! Because it's such an unnatural position it will feel uncomfortable, but keep practicing and it'll become like second nature. Do some overhead squats to help you get used to that position.

In general, watch those videos, keep the bar close and keep lifting!

I hope that's not too much information and it's helpful

EDIT: P.s. practice with just about 30 kg, should be a good weight for you to practice with

Last edited by Paul Potter : 07-28-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Forgot one thing
Paul Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Keith Miller

On the start position, get your back flatter and get the bar a bit closer. As you start the first pull, you leave the bar away from you quite a bit. This is why you use your arms and never fully extend the hips, the bar is too far away from you. I think if you fix that, a lot of things, including the jumping forward, will fix themselves.

Watch the video posted and get that bar closer to your body!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Matt Reiland

Thanks Keith and Paul for the input. I'll check out the videos and keep practicing.
Matt Reiland is offline   Reply With Quote