Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Michael Young

Default wrist pain

Has anyone had to deal with wrist pain, and what did you do to fix?

I have been doing the classics+variations and squats for about one year or so, and for the last few months have been having an aching pain in my right wrist.

I do a lot of mobility for it (no meds), but it doesn't seem to help. I used to grip collar to collar but have recently brought it in to about one inch past the rings.

It hurts all the time, but mostly on the warm up lifts. It's still noticeable as the lifts get heavier, just not as bad. I've worked through back pain, knee pain and shoulder pain, but this doesn't seem to be healing. I should also say it doesn't seem to be getting worse either, just constant.

I'm considering going to a squat program for a while to give it a rest, but hate the idea as there's a meet in August that I'd like to attend and don't want to lose anything on the lifts.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Michael Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

What changed a few months ago? That is, why didn't it hurt before? You need to find where the problem is coming from or you won't be able to fix it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Tom Brown III

Iíve had a similar history/injury. After 7 months learning the SN & CJ my left wrist began to hurt, mostly in the rack position, but with a snatch grip too. Then during a PR attempt last April I got under the bar a little too early and it crashed down on my wrist and put me out of commission. I couldnít even tolerate a push up position.

To make a long story short, in a word the issue was shoulder (and wrist) mobility. I solved it with a combination of

1) Loading the barbell on squat stands with heavy enough mass to resist lifting of the bar. Go under the bar as if youíre going to rack it and gently push with your legs in order to increase the stretch. I repeated this for 5-10minutes every work out using the onset of low pain as a threshold.

2) Starrett mobility drills every work out. Here are two that I found most useful:
a. For wrist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLheJx3Gnsk&list=PLw1mrhR2bBVzoxIHIZKNL_fM aeRYSwQbo

b. For shoulder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eveYJ..._fM aeRYSwQbo

As a means of judging progress I noted that prior to this regime I didnít have the mobility to rest an empty bar on my shoulders in the rack position Ėand it was painful. For about 6 weeks I laid off cleans and focused on snatching, squats and light weight jerks from the rack position off the squat stands. It was mentally tough because I wanted to keep my linear progression positive; it sucked training in a recuperative mode. But I stuck with it and currently an empty bar sits comfortably in the proper rack position. Iím pain free, I re-established my March 2013 PRís 3 weeks ago and this past Saturday I added 3kg to my snatch and 5 kg to my clean and jerk PRís. Iím officially back on track.

Keep in mind that this is only me; a sample size of 1. Iím new to the sport so Iím not in a position to offer advice, just share my experience. I guess the main message is that with patience, an intelligent approach and time you can recover and excel.
I should also add that I was fortunate enough to spend an hour with Coach Everett in February, a couple weeks before my injury. One of the form corrections he gave me was my hand placement in the rack position. They were way too wide, a sign of a lack in mobility. Instead of working on mobility, I stubbornly forced my hands to the proper position soldiered on assuming my body would adapt even though it was painful. So add find a good coach and listen to his/her advice to the mix.

Sorry this was so long, I just felt an immediate connection to your situation and hoped my experience might help. Please keep us posted on your progress here on the forum.
Tom Brown III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Michael Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
What changed a few months ago? That is, why didn't it hurt before? You need to find where the problem is coming from or you won't be able to fix it.
Greg, I can't think of anything in particular that changed other than the program i was following. I am a recovering, chronic program hopper. (I say recovering because I'm following the 6 week, 3 days per, sample program you posted for one of your master lifters. It's working out perfect for my schedule. Thank you for that.) The program I was on was 5 days per, so I'm actually getting more recovery time now. Maybe an accumulative thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brown III View Post
I’ve had a similar history/injury. After 7 months learning the SN & CJ my left wrist began to hurt, mostly in the rack position, but with a snatch grip too. Then during a PR attempt last April I got under the bar a little too early and it crashed down on my wrist and put me out of commission. I couldn’t even tolerate a push up position.

To make a long story short, in a word the issue was shoulder (and wrist) mobility. I solved it with a combination of

1) Loading the barbell on squat stands with heavy enough mass to resist lifting of the bar. Go under the bar as if you’re going to rack it and gently push with your legs in order to increase the stretch. I repeated this for 5-10minutes every work out using the onset of low pain as a threshold.

2) Starrett mobility drills every work out. Here are two that I found most useful:
a. For wrist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLheJx3Gnsk&list=PLw1mrhR2bBVzoxIHIZKNL_fM aeRYSwQbo

b. For shoulder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eveYJ..._fM aeRYSwQbo

As a means of judging progress I noted that prior to this regime I didn’t have the mobility to rest an empty bar on my shoulders in the rack position –and it was painful. For about 6 weeks I laid off cleans and focused on snatching, squats and light weight jerks from the rack position off the squat stands. It was mentally tough because I wanted to keep my linear progression positive; it sucked training in a recuperative mode. But I stuck with it and currently an empty bar sits comfortably in the proper rack position. I’m pain free, I re-established my March 2013 PR’s 3 weeks ago and this past Saturday I added 3kg to my snatch and 5 kg to my clean and jerk PR’s. I’m officially back on track.

Keep in mind that this is only me; a sample size of 1. I’m new to the sport so I’m not in a position to offer advice, just share my experience. I guess the main message is that with patience, an intelligent approach and time you can recover and excel.
I should also add that I was fortunate enough to spend an hour with Coach Everett in February, a couple weeks before my injury. One of the form corrections he gave me was my hand placement in the rack position. They were way too wide, a sign of a lack in mobility. Instead of working on mobility, I stubbornly forced my hands to the proper position soldiered on assuming my body would adapt even though it was painful. So add find a good coach and listen to his/her advice to the mix.

Sorry this was so long, I just felt an immediate connection to your situation and hoped my experience might help. Please keep us posted on your progress here on the forum.
Tom, thank you for the advice. I never knew of the shoulder/wrist relationship. I'll add these to my regimen. I've been doing distractions, voodoo band therapy, rubbing out trigger points, and wearing bands and straps while training. These have provided some relief, but there is still some discomfort. I can totally relate to not being able to get into a push up position. That would be a little too much to handle at this point.

Right now I'm just playing it by feel. I don't like going to a doctor for every ache and pain. I think I train fairly smart and am able to work through them when they do happen. This one just seems to be lingering a little longer than usual.

A question to you both, at what point do you think it would make sense to see someone about this? I'm hesitant as I can just hear the advice from my general prac, why don't you just do some light cardio and a little resistance training like everyone else and stop this weightlifting nonsense.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Tom Brown III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Young View Post
A question to you both, at what point do you think it would make sense to see someone about this? I'm hesitant as I can just hear the advice from my general prac, why don't you just do some light cardio and a little resistance training like everyone else and stop this weightlifting nonsense.
I can sympathize with you, Micheal. When I told my primary care physician that my wrist and shoulder hurt while doing the snatch and clean & jerk he had no clue. His advice was nearly identical to your thoughts on what he would say.

I ended up “googling” orthopedic surgeons in my area including the term “weightlifting” and/or “crossfit”. I was extremely fortunate in that the doctor for the crossfit games and the New England regionals, Dr. Sean Rockett at Orthopedics New England, is located an hour from me. I can’t tell you how great it is to have a doctor approach your personal health care from the perspective of “you can” rather than “you’re all done”.

It helps to keep in mind that the average physician is dealing with the average public on a daily basis. So a person in command of their own health, nutrition and life in general is an anomaly – a sad but seemingly, true fact of our society.

In the end Dr. Rocket ordered X-rays, which showed no acute damage. He found minor arthritis, which is typical for my age and slightly abnormal bone formation (but symmetrical, thus non-causative, in both hands as confirmed by a second x-ray of my other hand). He prescribed active recovery backing way off on intensity with moderate volume using discomfort as a threshold for work. I also found the Starrett mobility stuff and incorporated it into my routine.

Good luck, Michael. Keep us posted.
Tom Brown III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
colin dore

I would suggest seeking chiropractic assistance first. if the joint is not positioned properly, all of the stretching and strengthening could make it worse. I have not had any problems since I started weightlifting, but I had wrist problems in my early 20's. My chiropractor had a masseuse work on my forearm for about 20minutes, and then popped it back into position. This injury recurred several times due to the repetitive nature of my job at the time (factory line), but my bone-cracker was able to sort it out. Once everything is in order and you're healed up, I would highly recommend cruising the ironmind website or building your own 'wicked wrist roller' and 'twist yo wrists' apparatus. These will strengthen your wrists from every angle. just don't forget the flexibility and mobility drills mentioned above.
colin dore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Ben McClure

Wrist pain can come from an unstable shoulder. If it's painful in the rack position then try and lengthen the lats, long head of the tricep to help get your elbow up, resting the bar on your shoulders, rather than your hands.

If it's a wrist mobility issue, get a lacrosse ball into the wrist flexors as they could be short, as well as working on things like handstand holds to improve shoulder stability and wrist mobility.
Ben McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Michael Young

Good morning all,

Just a follow up, Colin, I went to my chiro, I never thought about seeing him for wrist pain. He did some drop therapy and laser treatment (I'm not sure how I feel about the ladder). He seems to think it can be corrected with just a couple of follow ups. The good thing, he didn't say to lay off, just go a little lighter and continue to wrap during the lifts, he also said to cool wrap it at night for 15 min. He said to continue with the self treatment I have been doing (so thank you all for the suggestions).

Greg, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this video, but you asked if I changed anything to have caused the pain. These are some lifts from Week 3 Day 1 of the program i mentioned earlier. It's how I've been performing the snatch for a while now. Not to say that its correct, just saying, so if you could take a look?

I included the snatch pulls and front squats as I've never been sure I’m doing the pulls well enough to get the full carryover in the SN, and the FS seems to look ok, but feels like I’m too far forward. Can you see any thing that could be the culprit, or have have suggestions on the lifts?

Thank you,
M

Old 08-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
Ben McClure

Looks like a stability issue buddy. Get comfortable in the deep overhead position, lots of snatch balances and drop snatches. Working on that overhead position should help. Lots of T-spine mobility too. Keep working on the wrist flexors, pec minor and rotator cuff with a lacrosse ball, and doing your mobility work
Ben McClure is offline   Reply With Quote