Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Gabriel Malate

Default Snatch Critique for a Beginner

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums/weightlifting so I figured I'd start off with a little snatch critique post. I've been practicing the snatch for a little over a month as of now. I'm currently visiting Japan right now so getting coached isn't a possibility as of now due to my extremely inadequate knowledge of Japanese, and the closest club being a 2 hour train ride away. So as of right now my only resources consist of youtube videos, Greg Everett's book, and online forums.

Well, enough rambling from me, on to the video. Any advice at all is appreciated!

Gabriel Malate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

Your first pull and bottom position look good but the main issue is with the 2nd pull. It looks like you're bumping the bar with your hips and dropping underneath it. That's why the weight ends up out in front of you instead of over the shoulders. You need to aggressively drive up with the legs and pull your body under the bar. Think about pushing your feet through the ground as long as possible and getting as tall as you can to achieve that full body extension.

On the 3rd pull, pull yourself under the bar with your elbows up and out so you're maintaining tension on the bar throughout the movement.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Gabriel Malate

A little late on the thank you, but thanks for the critique Blake. Got some new footage, so hopefully some of those problems are addressed in this video. Any feedback is appreciated!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Tamara Reynolds

I think you're doing pretty well for being self-coached. You seem to get the bar behind you a little better on these reps. But, you need to be more aggressive throughout the lift. Fast of the hip and fast on the catch. You're still kind of "floating" the bar into place after it comes off the hip. You can do this because it's light, but you won't be able to do that once it gets heavy.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
William Forth

Cool idea about posting videos, I'll give that a go as well!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Gabriel Malate

Thanks for the tips Tamara! Here's some footage of my last snatch session. Please forgive me for my lackluster display of speed, was a little fatigued since I squatted before hand, but still decided to get some footage. Any help is appreciated as usual!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Blake Barnes

I like the second video better. I don't know if it was the fatigue but it looks like you're going back to the old habits a little in the latest video. Your technique looks better in the second video you posted.

I'd like to see you really make that second pull more explosive. If you can, start doing some box jumps that are really going to make you jump. Let that explosive leg drive translate over to the snatch. You kind of just need to let loose and jump for that second pull. Right now it seems like you're just going through the motions because you're thinking about all the different principles of the technique. Don't be afraid to let your hair down and just jump!