Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Chad Gibbons

Default 3 pos clean and jerk critique for a beginner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNVEwLa-ww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndALeZHBYw

Hi, so I'm pretty new to Olympic lifting, only really been doing it for the last few months or so. I've been doing crossfit for a while but haven't paid much attention to seriously improving my lifts until recently. I'm currently doing your 8 week general program to try and get my weights up on my lifts but figured it would be a good idea to get my form checked before I start trying to lift heavy with incorrect form. So these are from yesterdays workout on my 3rd and 4th sets from the Wednesday of the first week at 70%. I thought my mistakes would be more prominent when I was already fatigued. I think I know a couple areas I need to improve on but any input would be appreciated, as like I said, I know almost nothing about correct form. Also I couldn't get the youtube embedding to work, I pasted the links between the Youtube tags and it just came up as an error occured
Chad Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Chad,

The cleans don't look bad. Here are my recommendations:

1. You could probably make your upper back a little tighter -- it looks a tad soft from the angle the videos were taken.
2. Be more explosive in your second pull. It doesn't really look like you're getting into a good power position and really driving those knees and hips open.
3. Your feet are going too wide. Move them to your squat stance. If you get into the habit of moving them out that far, you're probably going to end up with injuries to your hips, knees, and ankles. Simple foot drills without a bar help beat that motor pattern in.

As for the jerk, you MUST keep the hips directly under the bar. You send the butt back as if you're trying to squat. This is a big no-no. Sending the butt back is making you round your upper back, delay your change of direction (it's slow and you dip too low), and will lead to imbalance as the weight gets heavier. Make sure that bar is back against the throat (not cutting off circulation). Take a big breath and push against that stomach (I use the cue to "make yourself fat"), broaden the lats (a superman pose), keep the back locked down, and keep the hips directly under the bar. Shorten the dip (probably about half the distance you're doing right now) and bend only at the knees by sending them slightly outward. Finally, make sure you time that dip; descending too fast will make the bar leave your shoulders, only to crash down onto you as your drive back up. Control the descent and then explode back up.

I hope this helps you.

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Chad Gibbons

Thanks for the advice, I'm new to the forum but from everything I've read and seen this seems like an awesome community. I'll work on my form and post a follow up video and we'll see if I've made improvements. Thanks for your time
Chad Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Ben McClure

I agree with your upper back, keep it nice and tight. I also agree about your power position. Once you figure out the rebend of the knee (which I personally don't coach, I think it comes quite naturally with experience) you'll be able to be a lot more explosive and in turn your transition under the bar can be faster and more efficient. But overall good work
Ben McClure is offline   Reply With Quote