Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
Gil Guy

Default Programming for a Beginner

After reading Coach Everett's Book and going through the "Technique Development Program", I'd like to start following some kind of program that'll help me gain some weight on th bar and improve my technique.
I'm dealing with recovery from an ACL, PCL and Meniscus Full tear, so my flexibility and strength are quite limited for now (I can back and front squat prety well, but OHS is realy hard for me).
That been said, I'd like to train 3 times a week (due to work limitations), and I'm not sure what program I should choose.

* I've seen here a few recommendations regarding the "position/technique" program - Is it possible to adjust it for a 3-days/week training?

* I've also seen Glenn Pendlay's beginner program, which is already adjusted for 3-days/week, but seems less fit for working on technique.

I'd love to get your recommendations. Thanks in advance!
Gil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Keith Miller

I think a program already designed for 3x's a week is better than trying to adapt something else. I've heard very good things about Pendlay's program, and despite what you mentioned about not being set for technique, it's exactly that. Pendlay's beginner program is specifically designed to not use percentages and to go up where the lifter feels able due to technique. The program itself is DESIGNED for beginners technique-wise. If you want more information on it, check out Pendlay forum, as several people have used it with great success, AND it's designed for 3x's per week.
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Blake Barnes

I would recommend following the Beginner Template. It has plenty of Squats and Presses as well as working on technique.

As far as condensing the program, it's definitely doable. Target your weaknesses and cut out some tech-work exercises for your strengths. For example, if you have a strong jerk then cut out the jerk exercises and combine the remaining part of Day 2 with another day.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Gil Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
I would recommend following the Beginner Template. It has plenty of Squats and Presses as well as working on technique.

As far as condensing the program, it's definitely doable. Target your weaknesses and cut out some tech-work exercises for your strengths. For example, if you have a strong jerk then cut out the jerk exercises and combine the remaining part of Day 2 with another day.
Thanks for the answers!

I think I'll run the first stage and see how it goes...

Regarding weights - should the work set be "across" (i.e. mid-hang snatch 5X3 at the same weight for all the sets after warmup), or should I try adding weight between work-sets if the weight feels easy?
Gil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Blake Barnes

You can go by feel for the most part but I would start out using one weight for all sets after warming up. The goal is to do more weight than you did the previous week.

If you're 3-4 weeks into the program and one day you're feeling confident in your technique and you've done 2-3 sets that were extremely easy, I think you'll be fine to add some more weight on for the remainder of your sets.