Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Scott Keefer

Default Snatch PR & Columbus Meet Questions

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to ask if any of you are planning to go to the meet in Columbus on Oct. 29th?

I plan on attending which will be my first meet I plan on going after body weight in snatch, and 100 in the C & J. I am just looking to have a good time and get experience.

Below are some snatch videos, just wanting to see what you guys think I need to work on. I am not quite sure about back angle, and if I am rushing the lift at the top of the pull. Any advice is appreciated.

175 MISS

If the embeds didn't work the links are below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOjKKKIIYYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOjKKKIIYYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgApEqnhNA
Scott Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

Your technique isn't bad. It looks like you could finish a little more with the legs at the top of the 2nd pull. In the first video, you hardly even lift your heels off of the floor. Push through the ground as long as you can. You can see the top of Alyssa's pull in the photo:

http://www.catalystathletics.com/med...p?photoID=2280

The back angle seems okay just make sure that when you're working with the heavier weights, try not to shoot your hips up too fast. Control it off of the floor and all the way through that 1st pull.

Good luck at your first meet. Let us know how you do.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Scott Keefer

First off thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

I think the problem with my feet is not knowing how aggressive to be with the final explosion. I tend to do just enough to get it to where I can catch it relatively low.

I will work on finishing more.

I also am getting bruises right in my pubic bone is this just from not letting the bar get into to hip, and can you notice anything from the video about this.

I do need to work on keeping the form the same no matter what weight, sadly to say I think my snatch technique is the best out of the three lifts, clean jerk and snatch.

I'll have to upload a video of a heavy jerk and clean as that is a problem I think.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Tamara Reynolds

It's really hard for me to tell from the angle, but I watched in slow-mo, and I think you're right about the bruises. It looks like you aren't getting the bar all the way into your hip. It would be easier to tell exactly what's going on from another angle, though.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Scott Keefer

What angle would you say would be the best just completely side on?

I am planning on going after some PR Saturday so I will get some better and different angles.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Blake Barnes

You should be aggressive and fast even with the light weights. It's not about pulling just enough for you to drop underneath it; it's about elevating the bar as high as possible and then using the bar to pull yourself down into the squat. This way you're keeping constant, controlled tension on the bar instead of bumping it out and letting it float.

If you're getting bruises on the pubic bone then you're either leaving too much space between you and the bar (not pushing the bar all the way into the hip like you were saying) or you're initiating the second pull to early. From what I see, you might just need to push the bar into the hip a little more.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Scott Keefer

I did 175 today on my second try, I worked up from: 95, 115, 145, 165, miss 165, miss 165 make, 175 miss, and 175 make. The. I worked with 145 to get some hood reps in. The misses came from putting the bar to far behind me or leaving it to far out front to compensate.

I caught everything alittle higher today then the videos above, but I was more aggressive at every weight.

I need to work on setting my back better though, any advice or should I just focus on it more.

Also on a good note I felt like I swept the bar in better so no real pain
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Scott Keefer

Here are some videos of some jerks at 150 lbs.

I hit 6 sets of five the first two sets are below.

Let me know what you guys think I need to work on.

I think I need to have a faster dip and drive and get my front foot out farther on the split.

My best jerk to date is 195 lbs, but I am hoping to hit 100 kg or more by the end of October.

http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=6QfNqU6mQwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6U6LKZVT38

Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Tamara Reynolds

Yes, it looks like you are reaching back with your back foot instead of stepping out with your front foot. Think about stepping that front foot out as far as possible as if you were trying to step off the platform.

For the dip and drive, we cue a "bounce" instead - like a rubber ball bouncing against the floor. It hits hard and fast not long and slow.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Blake Barnes

Yeah you're definitely over-reaching that back foot. You want the shin of the front leg to be vertical. If you look at the videos you can see that your knee is in front of your ankle. So step out and make sure you're not reaching that back foot.

Also you want to make sure your back leg is not locked out. Try to keep your back knee soft so that if you were to absorb the weight, your back knee would bend and your hips would travel straight down.

Here's an example of Audra in the split: http://www.catalystathletics.com/med...p?photoID=2345

The slow dip isn't much of an issue as long as you're accelerating out of the bottom and that bar isn't moving while it's on the shoulders. I would suggest doing some Split Push Presses and work on keeping your weight distributed more evenly and keeping that back knee soft.