Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #41
Hunter Laing

Wed 10-23-13
MUa1

am - BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. seated Muscle Up - 1 rep every 2:00 x 15

So I decided to try some EDT type training to build up my capacity with MUs. I started today at 1 rep every two minutes, meaning that I did 15 reps in 30 min. Every time I hit all 15 reps, I will drop the interval by 5-10 seconds.

Today, I tried doing as slow a negative as possible, but by the 10th rep I was basically just falling, so I stopped them there.

B1. weighted tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 1 x 20 sec
B2. toe pull HS drill - 3 x 5

I meant to do these first, but I was so excited to work MUs that I forgot... Still, these went better than yesterday, although the longest holds were around 3-4 secs, so still nothing compared to Monday. One thing I need to remember for these is to always be actively pushing through my shoulders, because sometimes I find myself kinda just supporting myself on my hands and not actually engaging my shoulders at all.

C1. prone overgrip dislocates - 5# x 4 x 10

These make my shoulders feel so good. Definitely keeping them in the mix.

________

pm - BASb1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rope chins (L/R) no space b/w hands - 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 2/2, 2/2
A2. DFD pushups / 31X1 - 6, 6, 5, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4

So this was my first time doing rope chins, and theyre pretty rough on the hands. I did these with my hands basically touching, left hand on top first for 2-3 reps, then right hand on top for the same number of reps. My standard for making a rep on these rope chins is that my chin has to get above the top hand, which I did on every rep I did today. I didn't do tempo on the rope chins this time around because I wanted to make sure I wasn't choosing a variation that was too difficult for my current strength level, but I think I'll try to tempo them next BASb session. That will surely be hard on the grip.

DFD pushups are pushups in the downward facing dog position from yoga; I'm using them to help me work towards handstand pushups. On these, I was focusing on keeping my SA active throughout the range of motion, although I lost focus on this during some of the middle sets. I also tried to make the movement mimic, as closely as possible, the movement into and out of the bottom portion of a HSPU. My plan with these is to increase the height of my feet as I get stronger with it and eventually have my torso completely vertical. Then I'll take them against the wall.

B1. db cuban rotation / 5011 - 5#s x 5 x 10

My shoulders were pretty shot going into these, but I made it through em with a nice burn in my upper back and rear delts area.

C1. wrist conditioning
Hunter Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #42
Hunter Laing

Thu 10-24-13
MUa1

am - SASa2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. toe pull HS drill - 3 x 5

Still not feeling these like I did on Monday, but better than yesterday and Tuesday. I might start supersetting the toe pulls with back body line drills because I feel like my body line might be the issue.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 5 x 12 sec
B2. arch scap pull and hold - 5 x 3 w/ 4 sec hold on each pull

Tuck planches were much better today than they have been recently. I focused on mainly protraction, and not so much depression, and the holds were much stronger. I think that depression will be important in later stages, and that as I advanced through adv tuck and beyond the depression will be more necessary to maintain balance over the hands. Arch scap pulls were fine, but my arms were bending a little on later sets.

C1. lower through BL to GH pull - 5sec BL/5sec GH x 2 x 3
C2. RTO support - 2 x 15 sec

Only did two sets today because I was really starting to feel my elbows and forearms, especially on my right. I think this is probably because yesterday was super elbow intensive with exercises I haven't really done before, mainly the MUs for more reps than I've ever done and the rope chins. My right forearm is still feeling a little sore, but I'm not too worried about it.

D1. YTWL's - 3#s x 5 x 5

E1. wrist conditioning

_______

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series
AM x 2

A1. 4x3 snatch off blocks (below knee) @ 80%
30 x 3
35 x 3
40 x 3
44 x 3
47 x 3
50 x 3
52 x 4 x 3 PR

Felt good on these. This is also a pretty big PR, as the last time I did sets of 3 off blocks below the knee I used 105#. I was really focused today on using my back to sweep the bar to my hips, and I was using a slightly different technique with my back where I would first flare my lats out and then pull my shoulders back, and it helps keep the bar nice and close. I also tried to get my torso a little more upright on the pull by shoving my knees out to the side at the start. This also worked pretty well, so I think I will start trying to get my knees sideways and out of the way on all snatches and cleans and see if it makes a difference.

B1. 3x3 snatch pull from hang @ 100% of max snatch
40 x 2 x 3
50 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 3
64 x 3 x 3

On these I worked on sweeping the bar into my hips and keeping it close after exploding. Usually the first rep of the set would swing out a little, but the next two would be close.

C1. 3x2 heaving snatch balance @ 85% of max snatch
b x 2 x 3
30 x 2
40 x 2
44 x 2
47 x 2
50 x 2
52 x 2
54 x 3 x 2 PR

These were feeling really good today, although the reps at 54 were a little slower than I would have liked. next time I do these, I really need to work on actively pulling myself under the bar with my legs.

So my elbow was annoying me all day, and it was feeling a little iffy walking into the gym, but after I got warmed up and started working with the bar I didn't really feel it anymore. As of right now I don't really notice it either, so I'm pretty happy with that.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #43
Hunter Laing

Fri 10-25-13
MUa1

am - skipped

I was supposed to do my SASb session today this am, but I am trying to be careful about my elbow, and my left shoulder was so sore yesterday that, last night while I was sleeping, if I rolled over on it in the wrong way it would wake me up.

I've been feeling a little under-recovered lately, even though I'm still making PRs in everything, and I'd like to get back to feeling awesome while making PRs. Maybe I'm going through Broz's "dark times", but I've got to go back to HSC for homecoming tomorrow, and I'm visiting my granddad who has just had surgery on his eyes and knees next week, so this seems like a good enough time as any to back off a little bit.

I also think I need a little more focus on mobility, so I will work on that, and try to incorporate some kind of SMR/stretching routine before bed every night.

Also I'm taking the jerk back out of my OLY sessions for now. Its just a little too much stress on the shoulders at the moment, and I'd rather make progress with MUs and rope climbing and work towards HSPUs than have a big jerk.

_______

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series

A1. 4x3 clean off blocks (below knees) @ 85%
40 x 2 x 3
50 x 2 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 3
64 x 3
67 x 3
69 x 4 x 3 PR

The pulls on these felt really good, as I focused on spreading my knees sideways and out of the way of the bar for a more vertical pull, as well as sweeping the bar into my hips. The landings, however, didn't feel great. My knees were a little stiff going into the session, but on the second set at 50 I felt my left knee tweak a little. I wrapped it up and continued with the session, but was being really tentative with getting under the bar. I paid a lot of attention to landing on my left heel especially, but I would still feel that little tweak every now and then. On the sets at 69, I started trying to not sink so deep into the hole, because I think I might be going too deep and loosening up shit that should be tight. I dunno, I'm gunna have to play with this for a while because I really want this knee shit to stop.

B1. Front Squat
b x 2 x 5
40 x 2 x 5
60 x 3
70 x 3
75 x 3
80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1 PR

So I wasn't really sure what I was doing, rep wise, on front squats today and just decided to squat. I ended up with a PR, but thats not surprising considering that I've cleaned 190# when my FS "PR" was 185#. My knee actually felt pretty good during these, and I wasn't going as low as I possibly could.

C1. foam roll

Took a lax ball to my left knee during this, and it felt pretty good.

D1. couch stretch

I read today, from Greg Everett, that something to look at when dealing with knee pain is hip flexor tightness, and I've never stretched my hip flexors before so I will be looking into that.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #44
Hunter Laing

Mon 10-28-13
MUa1.5

am - SASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. back body line drill - 1 x 15 sec
A2. toe pull HS wall drill - 1 x 5

Wasn't feeling these again today, and I think there are a couple reasons why. First, I have my hands a little too far from the wall, and therefore too much weight on the heels of my hand as opposed to the fingers, and second, I had my knees bent slightly, so they pulled me towards the wall, also putting more weight on the heels of my hands.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 2 x 12 sec
B2. arch scap hang - 2 x 3 w/ 4 sec holds

Tuck planche felt strong today. I went back to having my hands slightly turned out instead of slightly in. I think having them slightly in was leading to too much internal rotation on my left side, causing a little bit of discomfort. Arch scap hangs were fine, although my arms were slightly bent on some reps, which is no bueno.

C1. supinated german hang - 1 x 15 sec
C2. RTO support - 1 x 15 sec

Changing things up a little with the german hangs. I wanted something that wouldn't stress my elbows as much as the BL GH pulls, but something that would stress them more than regular german hangs. I'll play with this for a while, and then probably move on to doing them on rings.

D1. prone overgrip dislocate - 5# x 2 x 10

E1. wrist conditioning

________

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
AM

A1. snatch off blocks (above knee)
30 x 2 x 3
40 x 3
44 x 3
47 x 3
50 x 5 x 3

So my left shoulder was still bothering me a little going into these, but it got better as the sets went on and I stopped noticing it. I also felt like today I was finally doing real snatches and actually dropping under them into a full squat. I was also doing a good job sweeping the bar into my hip, and was pulling with the knees forced out a little for a more upright torso.

B1. 4x4 snatch pull to hip
40 x 4
50 x 4
60 x 4
70 x 4 x 4

These were feeling good too. I was sweeping the bar to the hip really well and popping my hips well too. Used the knees out pull and it was feeling really good.

C1. 4x7/13 FS/BS @ 65% of FS mas
b x 2 x 5/10
40 x 5/7
50 x shit

At 50 I started feeling my left knee again, so I wrapped it up, but still felt it wrapped, so I called it a day.

D1. foam roll
D2. couch stretch
D3. band shoulder series

I'm fucking pissed off today, despite the snatches feeling really good. This olympic lifting is starting to beat up my body a lot. My left shoulder is pretty much constantly aggravated, as I can't squat more than I snatch without my left knee feeling like its about to pop out of the socket. I have to back off the lifts for a while and do a lot of mobility work, because I'm sick of feeling injured.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #45
Hunter Laing

Tue 10-29-13
MUa1.5

am - BASa(d)

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-front

A1. seated MU - 1 rep every 1:50 x 6

These went well today, and on the last two sets I actually managed to slow the negative down a little.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5.75# x 2 x 10 each arm

C1. shoulders-back

D1. wrist conditioning

_________

pm - BASb(d)

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. rope ground row (chest to hands) / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 4
A2. DFD pushup / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6

I think part of the pain that I have been feeling in my left shoulder is by biceps long tendon(or something like that) that became irritated last week during rope chins, so I decided to back off to an easier version until the grip and everything on my left side catches up to my right. I focused on retraction and depression with these.

DFD pushups went well, but I need to start standardizing the distance between my hands and feet so that I dont change the angle of my torso as the sets go on. On these I focused on keeping my SA active and keeping my bows close to my sides .

B1. close-grip tuck L chins (chest to bar) / 31x1 - 5, 6
B2. ring dips / 31x1 - 6, 6

I have been toying with the weekly layout of this MU accumulation cycle because of the different pains I've been having, and I will be doing two different sets of BA push/pull exercises in the BASb session starting next week for a little more variety in an effort to avoid overuse injuries for a while.

C1. db cuban rot - 5#s x 2 x 10

I don't think I'm ready for these yet, as I feel the seated db ext rots much more in my external rotations, and don't really get a burn from these in any particular spot.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #46
Hunter Laing

Mon 11-4-13
MUa2

am - EQ/BASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1a. back body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
A1b. front body line drill - 1 x 20 sec
A1c. weighted tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 1 x 20 sec
A2. toe pull HS drill - 3 x 5

These felt pretty good today. I had a couple holds that were 5-6 seconds, but I feel like I didn't have the weight centered enough over my fingers. Next time I do this session, I may just do the body line HS drill instead of the toe pulls, and save toe pulls for the dedicated EQ session.

B1. seated MU - 1 rep every 1:50 x 15

These felt strong. I even had some really slow negative reps. On a couple reps I let my hands go out really wide, but I didn't miss any reps. Next session I'll be going down to 1:40 intervals.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5.75# x 3 x 10 each arm

I was feeling these in my infraspinatus pretty well on my left side, and even better on my right side. I definitely think I need to stick with these for now over the cuban rotations.

_______

pm - BASb2

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-back

A1. incline rope climb - 6, 5, 5, 4, 4
A2. DFD pushup / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

The incline rope climbs felt pretty good, but were tough on the hands. DFD pushups felt good, and I focused really hard on keeping SA active. I wasn't getting any popping in my left shoulder like I usually get during these, so I think my scap position was pretty good.

B1. close grip tuck L chin (chest to bar) / 31x1 - 6, 4, 3
B2. ring dips / 31x1 - 6, 5, 4

Chins were rough today. I was focusing on retraction and depressing my scape before each pull, and then focused on pulling with my lats. Ring dips were also really tough today, and I was having trouble getting to a strong locked out elbow position at the top of some reps.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5.75# x 2 x 10 each arm

D1. shoulders-front

I think I may have tried to start rope climbing too soon, and I'm thinking about cutting out the rope climbing progressions and instead doing 10 sets of tuck L chins, and maybe cut the ring dips out too and do 10 sets of the DFD pushups. I still have some time to figure out which way I want this cycle to go, as I'll be spending the next two weeks helping out my grandfather who just got out of surgery, so my training might not be as consistent as I'd like it to be.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #47
Hunter Laing

11-5-13
MUa2

am - LB

joints

A1. deadlift
b x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5

Since I'm taking a break from the oly lifting to try to let my left knee heal, I need a new goal to work towards for lower body sessions. I figure the deadliest would be a pretty good lift to work towards because I haven't doe it in a really long time and it doesn't require too much flexion at the knees so it won't bother my left knee while I try to rehab it.

Today, I focused on using my legs to drive the bar up and on not pulling it up with my back.

B1. db bulgarian split squat / 31x1 - 20#s x 3 x 3 each leg
B2. db straight leg romanian deadlift / 31x1 - 20#s x 3 x 5

So I decided to work on some one legged squat variations to try and build up the left leg more around the knee. I wanted to do 5-8 sets of 3 for each leg, but my left knee was giving my problems. It was weird though, because when I was pushing off my left leg it felt fine, but when it was up on the bench, I would feel the same twinge when I was in the bottom position. Db deadlifts felt good, and I tried to focus on using my ass to do most of the movement.

C1. one leg hops, left - 3 x 50
C2. one leg balance, left - eyes closed x 3 x 20 sec
C3. one leg hops, right - 3 x 50
C4. one leg balance, right - 3 x 20 sec

I wanted to do one leg jump ropes instead of just hops but the gym didn't have a jumprope. This surprisingly set my calves on fire the whole time I was doing it. I'm hoping that a little lower leg strengthening will help with my knee problems, because its not something I've ever really done seriously before.

______

pm - EQ1

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. pigeon - 3 x 5 each side

Back body line drill was feeling pretty easy. I did left side first on pigeons today, but my right side is much stiffer so I'll do right side first next time.

B1. front body line drill - 3 x 20
B2. one leg straight leg good morning - 3 x 5 each side

Front body line drill was ok. I need to get my hands farther off the ground and keep my legs straight. One legged GMs were pretty bad on both sides; I was struggling to keep my leg straight throughout, and was having problems getting all the way to parallel, but later sets were much better than the first one.

C1. weight tri lat ext - 15# x 3 x 20 sec
C2. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 30 sec

Tri lat exts felt good, my whole upper body is a little tight from the BAS sessions yesterday. HS body line wall drill also went well, but I need to practice my cambered hands.

D1. HS toe pulls - 3 x 5
D2. 4 pos hip lift - 3 x 5 each side

HS toe pulls weren't great at the start, but I had a very solid and easy 8 sec hold in the third set. I think part of this is that I wasn't using cambered hands for the first two sets, and when I did on the third it gave me a lot more control over the HS. My right side is absolutely fucked on these, so hopefully working this and the pigeons will improve my mobility on that side. This is weird because I always thought it was my left side that was more immobile.

E1. prone overgrip dislocates - 5# x 3 x 10

F1. wrist conditioning
Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #48
Hunter Laing

Wed 11-6-13
MUa2

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. wall assisted straddle half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. lower to adv tuck FL hold - 5 x 15 sec

The press HS's felt pretty good today. I did em with my hands sideways so I wouldn't tweak my wrists like last time I was doing them, and my goal on each rep was to get my legs parallel with the ground one every rep. FL holds went well, and the first set was very extended, but as the sets went on I was extending less and less. I felt the retraction and depression pretty well though, and I was getting my lats into it a lot too.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red/purple x 5 x 15 sec
B2. bent leg HLR - 5 x 10

Tuck planches were all over the place today. In later sets, I started focused almost exclusively on protraction and not worrying about depression as much and it made the holds a lot easier. I think that I might have been trying to depress my scape too much, and instead I need to let them depress naturally as I extended farther toward a straddle planche in the future.

The HLRs are a little awkward with my setup in my basement, because I can't hand with a straight body under my pullup bar, and with my legs completely straight I would be kicking the ceiling, so I just did what I could. The first sets felt pretty strong, but as I fatigued in later sets I started swinging a little to help me finish the reps. I'll be working towards doing all reps strict.

C1. YTWLs - 3#s x 3 x 5 each

Instead of cycling through each movement, today I did all 5 of each before moving onto the next. Made my upper back and shoulders feel all warm and fuzzy.

-So this SAS session, and the one I'll be doing this pm, are kind of a return to what I was doing in my first bw accumulation cycle, and I think this is better for SAS than just doing planche/front lever holds. My shoulders feel much better after this session than they have in a while after a SAS session, so I'm thinking something I should remember is that the scapula needs more variety in each session, and needs to be trained at lots of different angles to keep it feeling good.

________

pm - SASb2

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. RTO support - 5 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pull w/ 3 sec hang - 5 x 5

RTO supports were feeling good. The first couple sets I felt very stable and strong, but on the last two sets I got some of that clicking in my left shoulder as I got into position. Arch scap pulls felt strong, but on the video I noticed that I was retracting my right scap a lot more than I was retracting my left. I think I have a better mind-muscle connection to my right side, so I might start doing some one sided retraction work on my left side to try and bring that up.

B1. segmented cast wall walk w/ three 3 sec pause - 5 x 3
B2. supinated german hang - 5 x 15 sec

The segmented cast wall walks were a lot harder than I thought they were gunna be, but they made my shoulders feel pretty good. supinated GH are a little harder on my elbow than pronated, which is why I'm working them before going back to GH pull work and BL work.

C1. YTWLs - 3 x 5 each

D1. wrist conditioning
Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #49
Hunter Laing

Thu 11-7-13

pm - EQ/BASa(d) + BASb

joints
wrist stretches
shoulders-front

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 20 sec
A2. active pigeon - 3 x 5 each side

B1. seated MU - 1 rep every 1:40 x 6

These were pretty strong, and I was easily holding the false grip with no chalk.

C1. ring chins / 31x1 - 6, 5, 5*, 4*, 3**, 3**, 3, 3*, 2**
C2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5

*ugly last rep
**missed next rep

These were pretty brutal today. I went for a couple extra reps that I probably shouldn't have that were kinda ugly, where I had to kip a little, and some I didn't even get my chin above the rings. The DFD pushups were also getting tough by the end. I figured out that if I keep my legs locked, the bottom position more closely resembles the bottom of a freestanding HSPU, so I did that on all sets.

D1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 2 x 10 each arm

I wanted to do 5 sets, but I had to cut it short because I was at the gym with my mom after a job interview in DC and I wanted to show her the wrist routine because she has been having some wrist pain, and she had to leave to get ready for dinner or something.

E1. wrist routine

Felt good, and my mom said her wrists were feeling really good after it too.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #50
Hunter Laing

Mon 11-18-13
phase1-intro

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. muscle up - 1 rep every 1:30 x 13 *failed reps 10 and 13...

These were tough today. During the warm up, I missed probably 5 times before I finally made one and started the clock. After they were going smoothly for a while until #10, and then I started struggling. Oh well, I'm not too pissed about this because I have been eating like shit over the past week and drinking literally every night, while also not doing any physical exercise of any kind.

B1. ring chins / 31x1 - 4, 4, 3
B2. DFD pushups / 31x1 - 6, 5, 5

Fuuuck ring chins were hard today. I felt like I couldn't retract and depress as strongly as I wanted to and was having trouble feeling my lats during the pull. The DFD pushups also felt harder than the previous time doing this movement, but I made a technique breakthrough that probably contributed to this: I have previously been transferring my weight back to my feet after each press, but today I left as much weight as possible on my hands today.

C1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 3 x 10 each arm

I felt these a lot on both sides. Felt good.

D1. 90* iso chin up hang - 42 sec + 15 sec = 57 sec

I decided to add these in to develop some grip strength. The goal is to work up to 60 sec in one set, and then I'll probably start working towards one arm hangs. Today, I went for a third set, but my back was too shot to even pull into the 90* hang position, so I called it quits.

Notes: Even though everything felt generally shitty today, I'm glad that I finally got a session in. For the past week, I have been helping out my granddad since he just got out of the hospital after a string on surgeries on his eyes and knees. He has been taking me out every night to amazing restaurants, so I have been pretty lax on my diet, and haven't really had the time to get a session in. He is finally gaining some mobility back himself so I had a little time today to squeeze this session in, and I will hopefully have more time over the next week or two to get some more sessions in before starting back up with two-a-days when I get home.