Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Patrick Daly

Default Fibular Head pain when squatting?

Whenever I squat I feel mild pain and stiffness in my left leg's fibular head. If I warm up a lot it subsides somewhat. I was also feeling constant soreness in the middle of my quad near my knee... probably the tendon but after taking a month off this seemed to lighten somewhat but the pain/stiffness with my fibular head (or near it but it feels like it's the head) is always present unless I warm up. Aside from the pain it feels like there's something resisting my squat depth as I break parallel. I'll try to add a video of my squat later tonight but until then I squat with feet shoulder width and turned out a bit. I shove my knees out and follow the general queue's. If anyone's heard of a similar situation or experienced this themselves please share ty :P
Patrick Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Patrick Daly

A front and side video at the end of my workout today. Not training weight. Quality isn't that great.

Edit: Video's removed and made private, PM me if you'd like to see them.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Keith Miller

Can you squat any deeper? Stopping at parallel as you are doing causes knee pain and increased tension on the surrounding tissues. Just curious if you can drop further into the hole.
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Daly View Post
Whenever I squat I feel mild pain and stiffness in my left leg's fibular head. If I warm up a lot it subsides somewhat. I was also feeling constant soreness in the middle of my quad near my knee... probably the tendon but after taking a month off this seemed to lighten somewhat but the pain/stiffness with my fibular head (or near it but it feels like it's the head) is always present unless I warm up. Aside from the pain it feels like there's something resisting my squat depth as I break parallel. I'll try to add a video of my squat later tonight but until then I squat with feet shoulder width and turned out a bit. I shove my knees out and follow the general queue's. If anyone's heard of a similar situation or experienced this themselves please share ty :P
Your squat depth is fine. It's breaking parallel which is enough. You're hips and hams are very tight, which is why of you go deeper, you're going to lose tension in your back. If you want to go deeper, you can do that safely but it will take time to loosen those structures which are currently really tight.

As for the pain, I've had a similar condition. If it's the same thing, you might be looking at some variation of ITBS. You a runner or cyclist with any regularity?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

For me, it stemmed from hip dysfunction, really tight hamstrings and overuse.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Blake Barnes

I would suggest rolling out your quads and muscles around the knee as well as your anterior tibialis and calves. Also, be sure you're continuing to get a good warm-up as you have been so it helps alleviate some of the pain right off of the bat.

Also, for the pain in the quad, try doing stretches with you hip joint open an your knee joint as closed as possible. Similar to the kneeling hip-flexor stretch except try to put your back foot up on a box or something to keep the knee joint closed.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Patrick Daly

As I'm working on stretching, foam rolling and hitting complete atg how should I program? Most of my squatting has been just breaking parallel and typically the only time I hit complete depth is on CJ. I was thinking about using a 5x5 for my squats with much lower numbers and building back up.