Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Jamie Glass

Post Clean critique

Hi all. As a CrossFitter, I have been guilty in the past of focusing too much on power Cleans and not nearly enough on full Cleans. Since starting the Catalyst programs, I am scaling back the weight and trying to focus on technique. Please take a look at my video from today and let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Jamie

http://youtu.be/RyUiGvZN5wQ
Jamie Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Glass View Post
Hi all. As a CrossFitter, I have been guilty in the past of focusing too much on power Cleans and not nearly enough on full Cleans. Since starting the Catalyst programs, I am scaling back the weight and trying to focus on technique. Please take a look at my video from today and let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Jamie

http://youtu.be/RyUiGvZN5wQ
Keep your back tighter when lowering the bar to your starting position. As soon as you start to lower the bar, your back loosens up and rounds a little. Also, keep that bar closer and finish the pull!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Blake Barnes

I agree with Keith on keeping your back tight; it's a little rounded when lowering the bar.

My main concern is how you're squatting when you receive the bar. It looks like you're hips are coming way too far back and this is causing your torso to fall forward. I know in CrossFit they will teach you to "sit back" and tell you that letting your knees pass your toes is forbidden. Well in weightlifting what you want to do is squat with your hips straight down and if that means your knees are going to pass your toes then so be it.

Keep working on the correct squat technique (hips straight down) and let that transfer over to the clean.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Tamara Reynolds

I agree with Keith and Blake. You need to be tighter all over. You actually need to start with this when you first take the bar off the floor. You pick it up with a completely rounded back. Treat every lift as if it were a max effort deadlift, clean or snatch and be sure to have that back flat and tight off the floor. It's surprising how easy it is to hurt yourself picking up a "light" weight incorrectly.

To get to that mid-thigh hang position, you want to start at the top with your shoulders back and chest out so that your torso is super tight. Bend slightly at the knee, and then lower the bar by pushing your HIPS up and back. It's a conscious hinge at the hip whereas you are just slumping your shoulders and torso forward.

It also looks like you aren't opening your hand to release the bar in the rack position. Your elbows are down, and this is contributing to your torso being pulled too far forward. You should rack with an open hand - no death grip on the bar. Invest in some weightlifting shoes. It's going to be much more difficult for you to get into a correct front squat position with your torso as vertical as it needs to be with the shoes you are wearing.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote