Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
jort Kramer

Default Simple Clean & Press program needed

Hi,

i'm a waterpolo players and i started lifting weights with some guys of my team. We got some strength and nice results but we got curious about the olympic lifts. I noticed that olympic lifters have strong legs, back and shoulders which are the 3 key muscle groups for waterpolo. Unfortunately we dont have the right gym to do snatches (no bumper plates and boxes) My question is: can someone help me with a 2 day/week Clean & Jerk program for in season. and a 3 day/week program for off season?

every little piece of help is appreciated

cheers!

Jort Kramer
jort Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

If you can't do the classic lifts (snatch/CJ), you can probably still get away with power cleans, power snatches and power jerks in whatever facility you're in. Something very simple would be:

Day 1
Power Clean + Power Jerk 5x2(1+1)
Clean Pull 5x3
Back squat 5x5

Day 2
Power Snatch 5x3
Snatch Pull 5x3
Front Squat 5x3

Start with weights that are relatively easy (as in you can do all reps well - not so easy it's a waste of time, though), and add weight each week as you can for 3-4 weeks at a time, then drop the weights 10-15% for a week, and start the process again higher than the last block started.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
jort Kramer

Thanks alot! for us power is more important than the full lifts, so power version are a good idea! the only problem we have with snatches is that we cant drop the bar. we dont have bumper plates for sure i can do the snatch pull. maybe just do snatch pulls and add 1 more pressing movement instead of the power snatch?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Jort,

While technique is extremely important during the lifts, you will want/need to increase the weight as you begin to develop a solid motor pattern. Therefore, it will benefit you to get to a facility that does have bumper plates, even if that means a little traveling if you plan on doing this two days a week. If you continue to train with, say, 60 kg in a power clean and and jerk, you're eventually going to get so used to that weight that your body will not benefit from the movement. Also, as you increase in weight, you will eventually have to go into the full lift given the nature of being able to power one weight and then have to go into a full squat for the next. It is important to learn the full lifts because at max effort, you're putting a lot of strain on the knees and hips to stop the weight from going any lower. Some days you may be able to stop the weight; on other days, your body is going to want to ride down into the full squat, so it's important that you're familiar and comfortable with, and flexible enough for the full movement. Should you increase the frequency that you train to three or four days a week, you're going to start to start feeling the effects of stopping weights in a power position all the time.

Lastly, doing pulls is great, but you're missing out on the full effect that the classic lifts offer if you cut out them out of your training, be it power or full lift. Again, I recommend that you maybe consider traveling to a gym equipped with the right stuff. If you can't get there, then your course of action is suitable, but I would recommend you stick with snatching and substitute the power clean and jerk with a clean pull and separate press motion since cleans tend to be heavier and harder to control on the way down.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
jort Kramer

thanks. i just did day 1 and it felt really great.
did 40-50-60-65-65 kg on power C&J i think i might be able to do all 5 with 60 kg after a good warm up.
80 kg with Clean puls and 60-70-80-90-90 with back squats.

(still low numbers but it felt great )

I wont go to another gym, i really like this one (olympic lifting is not the only thing we do) the only problem here are the snatches, if i fail with the clean it wont fall high, if i fail with the jerk i can prolly make sure it wont fall that hard. but with the snatch i think it will be a lot harder to control the bar if i cant hold it. Maybe i can control a light(er) weight used for the power versions.

as far as technique goes, we are always with 2 or more so we coach each other the best way we can

anyway, thanks for the help so far! tomorrow is rest day and day after we will see how it goes with day 2. i will post the results
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Jort,

It sounds like you have a good approach. Keep us posted on your progress!

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
jort Kramer

yesterday was day 2 to be honest my snatch technique is bad only managed to power snatch 45 kg for 3 reps. my pulls are kinda strong, but as soon as the bar reaches overhead im pressing instead of dropping under it. Snatch pulls felt great though 65 kg i think and 75 kg on the front squat

anyway thanks for the program, i thought i wouldnt be pressing enough, but my shoulders feel really used :P
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
jort Kramer

So far so good in the program, still having hard time during the snatches (very stiff shoulders) Made good progress on the squats did easy 3x100kg on back squat and fairly easy 5x3x75kg front squat. Power cleans are oke, i can easily clean 65kg for multiple reps, but the 2 jerks are the hard part. i quess i need pressing strength. As far as the snatch goes, im also picking up some overhead squats to get comfortable in such a position, but my shoulders and lats are extremely stiff.(gotta love water polo.....) Do you guys know some great stretches i can do? atm im doing shoulder dislocations with bands.

thanks anyway.

Jort Kramer
Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Blake Barnes

Make sure your pecs are stretched out. If you have access to a foam roller, you can roll out your arm pit (subscapularis and all the other good stuff in there) to help you open up and get a comfortable overhead position as well as your upper back to help retract the shoulder blades.

If you don't have one, I would suggest getting one of your own.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
jort Kramer

Thanks for the reply!

i was planning to get a foamroller anyway. i like them Will stretch and roll and we'll see what happens. Will keep you updated