Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Matt Reiland

Default Advice for both lifts

I have received good advice here recently and would like to post videos of where I am at today. I am very much a beginner and would appreciate any advice. I have ideas of what I need to work on, but I don't want to influence the advice given so I'll wait to hear what the board suggests.

The videos are in slo-mo; if it would be better to post the unedited versions, please let me know and I'll post them up.

Snatch from today:

C&J from today:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Matt Reiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

Snatch-

Try to pull the chest up a little in the starting position. It looks like the shoulers are a little too far forward.

As you lift the bar off of the floor make sure it's coming back at an angle towards you. When you lift it to the knee, the bar path looks a little too vertical like you're making a path to go around the knee.

Make the first pull a little bit longer and push the bar in more as you go into the second pull. You're bringing the hips forward into the bar which is making you shift your weight forward as you drive up causing you to jump forward. Keep your weight back on the back of the foot as you initiate the second pull.

Clean-

Same thing about the starting position. Try to get your chest up more so there is a slight shoulder retraction.

First pull is better on the clean, but you have the same issue with initiating the second pull too soon. I can't see where you make contact with the bar but I'm going to guess and say that it hits low on the thigh. Use your lats to push the bar in higher up on the thigh and keep your weight back longer before initiating the second pull. Making contact low on the thigh is causing you to jump forward slightly like on the Snatch.

Also, you don't get a full extension so there is a lot more leg power that isn't being used.

When turning the bar over, bring the elbows UP and OUT and pull yourself down underneath the bar with your chest up. It looks like you're just letting the bar float up and swinging your elbows down and around the bar.

Jerk-

The Jerk looks pretty good. Just be careful you're not too heavy on that front leg. A good indicator is making sure the shin of the front leg is vertical and your back knee is soft, absorbing the weight with the hips straight down.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Matt Reiland

Blake,

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
As you lift the bar off of the floor make sure it's coming back at an angle towards you. When you lift it to the knee, the bar path looks a little too vertical like you're making a path to go around the knee.

Make the first pull a little bit longer and push the bar in more as you go into the second pull. You're bringing the hips forward into the bar which is making you shift your weight forward as you drive up causing you to jump forward. Keep your weight back on the back of the foot as you initiate the second pull.
What are some drills that will help me with the first pull and bringing the bar in before the second pull? Clean/snatch segment pulls and clean/snatch deadlifts?

Quote:
When turning the bar over, bring the elbows UP and OUT and pull yourself down underneath the bar with your chest up. It looks like you're just letting the bar float up and swinging your elbows down and around the bar.
For this (and I feel like I am doing the same thing in the snatch), would the best technique work include tall clean/snatches and muscle cleans/snatches? Or would you recommend some other technique work?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Blake Barnes

Quote:
What are some drills that will help me with the first pull and bringing the bar in before the second pull? Clean/snatch segment pulls and clean/snatch deadlifts?
Segment DLs and Halting DLs along with Snatch/Clean DLs would be fine.

Quote:
For this (and I feel like I am doing the same thing in the snatch), would the best technique work include tall clean/snatches and muscle cleans/snatches? Or would you recommend some other technique work?
I would say both of those combined with some Snatch/Clean High-pulls would work great.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Matt Reiland

Great, thank you very much. I appreciate the input.