Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Ken Lambert

Default Snatch Form Advice Please

I'm a total oly lifting newbie (just a couple of months). I have studied Greg's book and DVD and am continuing to work on all the snatch progressions. I know I have a ton to improve on, but I was wondering if one of the experts on the forum might be kind enough to point out any major issues I have at this point.

One issue I notice is that I tend to miss lifts by dropping the weight forward, and sometimes I lean onto my toes to catch the weight. I think that means that the bar is too far away from my body, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get it closer to my body on the first and second pull. You think it would be a simple concept, but I find I'm not improving much on it. Any tips would be great.

For background, this is 100 pounds. My best OH squat is 165, best back squat is 265. Thanks again for any advice.

Ken Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Yes, bar is too far forward. Slow down from the floor - in fact, go slowly until the bar is at your mid thigh for now. Arch your back tightly and relax your arms so they remain long until your body is fully extended, and use your back to keep the bar as close to your legs as possible on the way up (This will be much easier with that slow first pull). Don't "snatch" until the bar is at mid to upper thigh - you're trying to do it by the time the bar is at your knees.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Ken Lambert

Greg,

Thanks for much for the advice, I really appreciate it. Also, great work on the Olympic Weightlifting book and DVD. I love it.

Ken
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Ken Lambert

Default Update

I really appreciated Greg's advice on my prior video, so I thought I would post an update of what I hope is some progress. I'm trying to wait longer to start the snatch, so now the bar path looks better up to the hip crease. Still lots of work to do, but some progress. For what its worth, at this point I'm just focusing on my hips for the whole lift. Drive the hips forward hard when the bar hits the hip crease, and then pull the hips down as fast as possible into the squat position.