Go Back   Olympic Weightlifting Forums - Catalyst Athletics > Olympic Weightlifting > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 10-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Stu Myers

Default Recovery time

I'm trying to convince my 17 year old son he needs to allow his body to recover, but he refuses to listen. Our weightlifting club trains 4 days a week. About a year ago we put a gym in the garage. In June of this year he came back from a wrist injury and now the wrist is starting to hurt again. Over the summer he was training two times a day about 6 days a week on average. He said he "needed to make up for lost time" from his wrist injury. Now, since school is back in session he's training once a day, about 5 days a week. I'm telling him that his insistance on pushing himself so hard, so often has become detrimental to his progress and "pain" is his body telling him to slow down, take a break. Am I correct? If so, any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Stu Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Blake Barnes
Administrator

Is he playing any other sports, or just lifting weights?

From what it sounds like, it would be a good idea to rest up some, especially if injuries are occurring. Usually, if he is constantly getting injured then that means he needs to take a break. But if it's just one injury that happened one time then it's not a huge issue. Kids at that age recover much faster.

It wouldn't hurt to lay low for about a week though.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Stu Myers

Thanks for the reply Blake. No, he doesn't participate in any other sports, just olympic lifting. He told me Friday evening that the pain is in a different area and not a reoccurrance of his original wrist injury. He says it's managable. I guess I need to believe him. He kind of put some of my worries to rest this past weekend. He competed in a club meet in Jeffersonville Indiana. He hadn't competed since Oct, 2013 because of injury. He lifted in the 69k class and posted a 200k total He went 5 for 6 and set meet PR's in both snatch and CJ, missing 115k behind in his last attempt. I guess I'll leave him alone and trust his experience! We're off to Colorado Springs in 2 weeks for an open meet out there along with the 15 and under international meet. Just a worried parent I guess.
Stu Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Blake Barnes
Administrator

It's completely understandable to be worried about your son's physical safety. I would keep an eye on everything as he progresses though. If there's something that's bothering him more than usual, obviously you would want to modify a movement in a way that takes some of the stress off of that area.

It might be a good idea to take a week to try to relieve any pain after this meet in Colorado Springs.

Good luck to him! Hope he does well.