Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Max Alander

Default Introduction and a few questions

Whats up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just want to say I'm happy to find a place where I can find some people with similar ideas and some advice.

Some background on me, I'm 6'2" and 20 years old and a former D1 swimmer. I took up some general strength training when I quit swimming but found Oly lifting in the past few months. Swimming left me with incredibly flexibility and mobility, but next to no strength. I did 6 weeks of the strength development program but decided to switch things up and I just started a slightly modified LSUS program.

My current lifts are...
Snatch: 177 lbs
Clean and Jerk: 225 lbs
Front Squat: 225 lbs
Deadlift: 385 lbs

You'll notice I left out back squat...despite good form I was having some chronic back pain and decided to drop it and replace with front squats and deadlifts. I'm pretty sure it was just hip flexor tightness as most of the pain is non existant now and only comes when I don't stretch. I've got pretty long legs in proportion to my torso and pulling from the ground is much easier for me. Any thoughts or opinions on dropping the back squat would be appreciated..I know its not the conventional thing to do. One other issue is my jerk. I'm much more comfortable with the power/squat jerk than the split. Again, I have long (uncoordinated..swimmer) legs that make this a little more difficult. I feel much more powerful and safer with a push or squat jerk. I also recently switched to a false grip in the jerk and all overhead lifts. Not sure what it is but my technique goes to shit when my thumbs are around the bar. Again, any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for the help and when time permits I'll throw up some videos

-Max
Max Alander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Blake Barnes

I would try to get the back pain under control so that Back Squats can return to your training protocol without any pain. I'm not against only doing Front Squats for a cycle, but I wouldn't drop them forever.

The thing with the Squat/Power Jerk is that you should have really strong legs and you must have the mobility/flexibility for it. It sounds like you have the mobility so make sure your legs are strong enough to handle that movement after the cleaning it. Then again, you're new to the sport and it's going to take a little time to develop some comfort with these movements; that goes with people of all shapes and sizes.

With the Jerk, I would not recommend using a false grip on the bar. Some people find it more comfortable with that grip but I recommend trying to find a comfortable grip with your thumbs around the bar. I hope you're not using that grip with Snatch-related overhead exercises (OHS, Snatch Balance, Snatch Push Press, etc). In that case, definitely bring your thumbs around the bar.