Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Michael Herring

Default Looking for a Bar. Best Value and Mild Knurling

I'm considering getting a bar and weight set for home use.

My hands are like delicate flower petals so my preference is for a more mild knurling. Actually I'm not too picky. I just don't want to shred my hands, shins and thighs.

I'm happy to spend the money on an Eleiko bar if that's the best combination of knurling and quality but if I can get 98% of that quality for 1/2 to 3/4 the price I'd probably do that.

What's your experience?
Michael Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Herring View Post
I'm considering getting a bar and weight set for home use.

My hands are like delicate flower petals so my preference is for a more mild knurling. Actually I'm not too picky. I just don't want to shred my hands, shins and thighs.

I'm happy to spend the money on an Eleiko bar if that's the best combination of knurling and quality but if I can get 98% of that quality for 1/2 to 3/4 the price I'd probably do that.

What's your experience?
Well, Pendlay bearing bars are on sale this weekend, so you can get the bar for just a little over $400. DHS makes a pretty good bar, and I really like the new Rogue Bearing Oly bars. I've only lifted on one once, but it seems like a very solid bar. All would be about $500 or so. Eleiko has been known to have somewhat sharper knurling, not cheese grater, but sharper than those I listed.

I personally have a ZKC bar from about 2002 and it has the softest knurling I've ever lifted on. It's nice for training regularly, but you really have to chalk up to get some grip.
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Michael Herring

Thanks for the feedback, Keith. The practical side of me says I probably should have pulled the trigger on the Pendlay setup this weekend but the materialistic side of me really wants the Eleiko bar.
Michael Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Herring View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Keith. The practical side of me says I probably should have pulled the trigger on the Pendlay setup this weekend but the materialistic side of me really wants the Eleiko bar.
No problem. And, I know what you mean about wanting an Eleiko, part of me wants one also!! Let me know what you decide, as I might be looking for a new bar soon, just for something different to lift on.
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote