Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 04-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #11
Mark Bennett

With regards to the " interesting properties" this is taken from the T-nation article I posted above.

Actually Good For You?

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, creatine is actually being used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including a form of muscular dystrophy (26) and Lou Gehrig's disease (5).

There are also positive effects of creatine on glucose tolerance when combined with resistance training and protein supplementation (4). This is a finding of incredible magnitude, because type II diabetes is one of the fastest growing diseases in the Western world! Who knows, in 20 years, part of the treatment may be to consume protein and creatine supplements along with working out!

Further strengthening the support for creatine use, we've seen that creatine supplementation can decrease the level of homocysteine, a toxic indicator for cardiovascular disease (16). This means that creatine has been shown to reduce the risk for the number one killer in the Western world.

Research has also shown that creatine may have an anti-inflammatory effect in vitro, but we don't know how strong this will be in humans (18). Another in vitro study showed that creatine possesses antioxidant activity (17), which is a very exciting prospect.

Lastly, creatine appears to have a nootropic effect. It's been shown to enhance memory and score on an intelligence test in vegetarians (21) and has been shown to reduce mental fatigue and enhance brain oxygen uptake (29). Clearly, the benefits of creatine extend far beyond the athlete!

In summary, creatine appears to not only lack negative health effects, it actually seems to be good for us in many ways!

Mark
Mark Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
John Alston

Wow, thanks. Nice info. It's cheap enough these days to give a try I think.
And seeing as how I am now a prospective member of the Fat Bastard Club (aka Club Bastardo) and moving up to lift as an 85kg lifter, some extra weight from some creatine won't bother me.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
Bobby Spencer

Default I have become concerned about the lack of research on CEE

Hey Robb (or anyone else in the know),
I have employed the search function (a wonderful thing, it is) both on this forum and the CF forum to look at some of your advice on creatine. I've noticed that you recommend Creapure specifically the Prolab brand. My question is: Does it matter what brand as long as it is Creapure creatine???Ultimate, Bioplex and others offer Creapure.

I must admit that the lack of research on the other forms of creatine (like the CEE, I've used for a while) has me concerned. As I get older, I want to make sure that the few supplements I do take do not have any long term effects. And I have heard some negative things about CEE and others.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
And seeing as how I am now a prospective member of the Fat Bastard Club (aka Club Bastardo)
The first rule of the Fat Bastard Club is you don't talk about the Fat Bastard Club.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #15
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
The first rule of the Fat Bastard Club is you don't talk about the Fat Bastard Club.
That is pretty damn funny!

IMO any creatine will work. Find some cheap stuff, take ~1 tsp (5-6g) per day.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #16
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
If this is your first night at Fat Bastard Club, you must eat an entire jar of natural peanut butter and 3 protein shakes. No Exceptions!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
If this is your first night at Fat Bastard Club, you must eat an entire jar of natural peanut butter and 3 protein shakes. No Exceptions!
I have video tape from the first meeting of the FBC.....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UyrTx3u6Yw
Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #18
John Alston

I dunno about your fatty club. These are the kind of fat guys that become members Fat Bastard Club (aka, Club Bastardo).

But to get back on topic, I bought some creatine, 100 servings for about 14 bucks. Part of a little mass gain run I am on. Let's see how it treats me.