Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Kristoffer Andersen

Default OL Weightlifting AND Strongman?

What are peoples/your thougths on hybrid training that combines elements from both OL weightlifting and strongman? Are they incompatible, or is it that they actually could be a good match?
Do you think of other good combinations, for example elements from powerlifting?

And how do you think the muscle building in strongman, or other muscle building sports like bodybuilding, are compatible with OL weightlifting?

Last edited by Kristoffer Andersen : 07-18-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Kristoffer Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Daniel Villarreal

While I admire your enthusiasm,you're all over the place. Asking about combining training for different sports misses the point of both sports. Would you ask about combining training for the 100m dash with the marathon just because both involve running? How about basketball and swimming?

It just doesn't work that way.

If you don't want to train in either sport but are looking to build a good, healthy physical base (gpp) then by all means, incorporate aspects of any physical activities you fancy, but don't think it'll get you anywhere near the results you would in any individual discipline you'd be able to achieve were you to concentrate on one. You wouldn't actually be training for a sport, rather working on general physical preparedness. These things cross over only to a very limited degree with ordinary humans, and I wouldn't benchmark against the very, very few exceptions out there (only Misha Koklyaev really comes to mind).

As far as muscle mass go, for weightlifting you want as a secondary or tertiary consideration to build efficient fast-twitch muscle fibers, which will happen through weightlifting training. Neither of the disciplines you mentioned are very good for that purpose: bodybuilding's hypertrophy-targeted training is only interested in size, while strongman also involves endurace aspects which need and build slow-twitch muscle fibers. Of course, conversion from one to the other isn't completely straight-forward, but the idea is there. The second big consideration would be mobility. Both strongman athletes and bodybuilders customarily exhibit mobility deficiencies which will hinder lifting. Finally, there's the important consideration of technique, which will be hard to develop and maintain if you skip around all disciplines trying to become an all-roynd strength athlete. However, I wouldn't worry about building muscle mass. Look at weightlifters, they are packed eith muscle even if the sport doesn't specifically work to achieve muscle growth. You'll end up looking muscular but athletic, not like a juiced up gym rat.

All that being said, you need to thonk about your priorities and either focus on one sport and treat pther lifts and exercises as supplemental, or give up the idea of training for a sport and work on gpp or whatever you want to call it. But then the question of combining disciplines would be moot in any case.
Daniel Villarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Kristoffer Andersen

I see your point, Daniel Villarreal, and many thx for the reply! This helps me prioritize what kind of training I will continue with above others! Very good reply!

But then i begin to wonder what your thoughts are about Crossfit? Crossfit is a training method which train much different things, with resemblances to what i was talking about. Will you say that crossfit is an example of what you will call GPP (general physical prepardeness) training? Or could we say that Crossfit has made GPP itself a sport?

Last edited by Kristoffer Andersen : 07-21-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
Daniel Villarreal

I've actually been to a CF gym and done one of their on ramp courses. It was organized by my employer so I naturally felt like taking advantage of the opportunity. Essentially, I feel that CF training is just as good as the coach responsible or training sessions. The general premise of competing in an event consisting of weightlifting exercises against the clock seems borderline dangerous to me, but in a practice setting with a good coach, a general approach towards fitness can very well work. The coach I worked with during that course was very knowledgeable both in terms of weightlifting and general physical training, which actually made for a positive experience. However, both online and elsewhere I've seen very troubling examples of what can go wrong. Buyer beware / crossfitter beware.
Daniel Villarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Kristoffer Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Villarreal View Post
I've actually been to a CF gym and done one of their on ramp courses. It was organized by my employer so I naturally felt like taking advantage of the opportunity. Essentially, I feel that CF training is just as good as the coach responsible or training sessions. The general premise of competing in an event consisting of weightlifting exercises against the clock seems borderline dangerous to me, but in a practice setting with a good coach, a general approach towards fitness can very well work. The coach I worked with during that course was very knowledgeable both in terms of weightlifting and general physical training, which actually made for a positive experience. However, both online and elsewhere I've seen very troubling examples of what can go wrong. Buyer beware / crossfitter beware.
Hm... I understand what you mean. Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding crossfit! I too se that it CAN be very problematic... But you didnt actually answer my question: Do you think that crossfit is a form of GPP, its own kind of sport, or GPP made into a "specific" sport (a combination)?