Go Back   Olympic Weightlifting Forums - Catalyst Athletics > Olympic Weightlifting > Technique Video Feedback

Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Stefan Westernacher

Default Form Check with Forward Jump

Hey guys,
I would appreciate if you could help me a bit with the form of my Snatch and Clean & Jerk.
The videos below are Snatch and C&J complexes. The mistakes I can see are the following:
  • Jump forward in both, the Snatch and the Clean
  • Bar travels too far forward (I think that is the cause for the forward jump, right?)
  • Back angle changes during the First Pull (problem?)
  • Bar travels back during First Pull (problem?)

So I would like to hear your opinion on my technique, the points mentioned above and it would be great if you also could give me a few cues or drills to fix the main problems.

Snatch Complex: http://youtu.be/NdRfVXDPIxA
C&J Complex: http://youtu.be/DLWaQLiiBvA

Thanks for your help!

Stefan
Stefan Westernacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Blake Barnes
Administrator

Your jump forward is very slight. Also your bar path seems fine to me. The bar should be moving back slightly on the 1st Pull and I don't really see the bar moving forward at all.

I do see a couple of things. Make sure you finish driving with the legs (2nd Pull) before you pull with the arms (3rd Pull). Also, on the Snatch try not to dive your head forward as much. Keep you head and chest up as you turn the bar over.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Rob Chu

i used to jump forward on all my lifts and two cues helped me, which may help you:

1. do not initiate the "jump" until the bar is as far past your knees as possible. I have found that the lower your back angle is when you start to jump, the more likely your toes, your knees, your hips, your whole body has the tendency to go forward, rather than up or back.

2. finish the extension violently. i think its the same concept, but if your "explosion" point is earlier in the lift when your back is at an angle, its likely to pull you forward. if your "explosion" point is more when your back is vertical or even inclined, its likely to push you straight or back.
Rob Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Blake Barnes
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Chu View Post
1. do not initiate the "jump" until the bar is as far past your knees as possible. I have found that the lower your back angle is when you start to jump, the more likely your toes, your knees, your hips, your whole body has the tendency to go forward, rather than up or back.
I agree with this one and would like to add: not only do you want to be patient and let the bar get higher, you want to make sure and keep your knees back until you're ready to initiate the 2nd Pull.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Rob Chu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Barnes View Post
I agree with this one and would like to add: not only do you want to be patient and let the bar get higher, you want to make sure and keep your knees back until you're ready to initiate the 2nd Pull.
yeah, its the main problem i had and seems to be one of the most common problems other beginner lifters have. they are trying to begin the jump from low in the squat to generate as much power as possible and it seems to push everything forward.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Stefan Westernacher

Thank you for your help!

In reality the forward jump is about 1/4 to 1/2 of a foot length, but I don't know whether that's a big forward jump or not.
And you think the slight back angle change in the first pull is no problem?

Do you have a few drills for the things that need to be fixed in my lifts?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Rob Chu

I asked a question about the jump forward and greg actually responded that generally you shouldnt jump forward at all. Although there are a handful of top lifters that do jump forward, when you jump forward its generally less stable in the catch, which I have found to be true now that Ive almost completely fixed the issue.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Blake Barnes
Administrator

If I were you I wouldn't even worry about the feet or the back angle as much as I would about the receiving position. But if you're jumping forward is causing you to miss lifts then you can draw a line on the floor or put a 1/2"-1" mat in front of your feet.

There is a lot of instability in the bottom and you're diving your head too far forward. You can bring your head through a little bit but not that much.

Try doing some Dip Snatches and/or Tall Snatches and making sure you're keeping your head and chest up as you turn the bar over.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Stefan Westernacher

Ok, thank you. Then I will try to fix that head/chest issue first.