Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
R. Alan Hester

Default “Natural Weight/ BF%”

Do we as humans have a natural “set point” with regard to body composition and weight? I, for example, have fluctuated between 188 at 7% BF (endurance fetish days) and 232 at 22% BF (I want to be a heavy lifter; therefore, two chins are okay days) for the last 12 years. For me to attain the former, I must be VERY strict with food choices, which causes me mental and emotional angst—sort of , whereas the latter requires that I eat an amount of food that feels unnatural and would surely have me kicked out of my tribe because of my overconsumption of food. The weight and BF% at which my performance is best both anecdotally and empirically is 205 (9% BF) at ~6' 2".

Am I making sense?

Alan
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Robb Wolf

Alan-
Totally making sense and I think it's an excellent question. Art Devany threatened to write something on this topic, essentially putting bodybuilding and it's associated goals into a health/evolutionary perspective. I think he forgot about it!

On a purely empirical level I'd say that whatever body weight/composition one gravitates towards when following a low carb, high fat diet is about optimum from a health perspective. it is damn near impossible to keep any extra weight on. I think Shaf mentioned getting down around 200 when he was following the metabolic diet. Shaf are you about 6' tall? Alan how about you? 200-205 sounds about right with 8-10%bodyfat. For myself if I do not make a conscious effort to eat more than i want I will head from ~170 down to 160. I can run super lean and have great strength/BW for gymnastics type stuff but things like the Olifts suffer a bit. I think this is one of those intersections of performance, health and longevity. i know my overall athleticism runs best if I am up to 180-185. Excellent strength/BW and absolute strength but that is a major strain on my system and psyche to get to and maintain that level.

Historical accounts of hunter gatherers paint a picture of lean, muscular but not "big" people. I think both devany and cordain have thrown out the 8-10% BF for men 12-15% for women. This is a lean, athletic level but one still maintains normal androgen levels and has enough of a reserve to fight off infections and recover from injuries.

I think it is also telling that one can achieve a pretty high level of performance while eating when hungry but that last 15-20%, which is obviously huge if you want to be competitive, but that last bit comes about largely from the fueling beyond normal appetite levels.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
R. Alan Hester

Robb,
Thanks for the reply!

I am about 6’ 2” tall, so I guess at 205 and 8-10% BF I would be about right.

Alan
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Neal Winkler

But is appetite somewhat a function of activity level and activity type as well? When I eat only as much as I like I weigh about 140ish at 5'8.5". But I have also have problems with working out consistently. Since I have inconsistency with training my body doesn't have much of a reason to increase in size and hence in appetite. If I did workout consistently and in such a way that an increase in size was necessary to overcome the stresses that are being placed upon my body, would then my appetite increase (and hence I would no longer feel as if my eating is unnatural)?

If this is the case, then I don't think that there would be a set point that we want to gravitate towards for body comp and weight. It would be a function of enviroment with the upper and lower limits determined by individual genetics.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Alan-

Historical accounts of hunter gatherers paint a picture of lean, muscular but not "big" people. I think both devany and cordain have thrown out the 8-10% BF for men 12-15% for women. This is a lean, athletic level but one still maintains normal androgen levels and has enough of a reserve to fight off infections and recover from injuries.

I think the lit suggest this is also pretty variable based on climate with colder areas driving addaptations for retaining additional BF- more in the ranges of 12-15. Been a long time since physical anthro so I might be off.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post
But is appetite somewhat a function of activity level and activity type as well? When I eat only as much as I like I weigh about 140ish at 5'8.5". But I have also have problems with working out consistently. Since I have inconsistency with training my body doesn't have much of a reason to increase in size and hence in appetite. If I did workout consistently and in such a way that an increase in size was necessary to overcome the stresses that are being placed upon my body, would then my appetite increase (and hence I would no longer feel as if my eating is unnatural)?

If this is the case, then I don't think that there would be a set point that we want to gravitate towards for body comp and weight. It would be a function of enviroment with the upper and lower limits determined by individual genetics.
Neal-

It's a good question...not sure other than if I am not taking in many carbs I am just not very hungry, almost regardless of activity level. I just tend to get leaner and maybe a bit skinnier (if that is possible).

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote