Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Steve Liberati

Default Goodbye Claritin!

First full year on diet void of grains...first year without allergies (I use to get them bad too).

Coincidence? I think not

Funny how the advent of agriculture did more for the pockets of Big Pharma than for the greater good of mankind
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
did more for the pockets of Big Pharma than for the greater good of mankind
and then a mysterious black van with tinted windows came to Steve's door.....and he was never heard from again......
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Robb Wolf

The funny thing is it would be Brad H. at the wheel.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

lol you talking about Mr. T and the A-team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
and then a mysterious black van with tinted windows came to Steve's door.....and he was never heard from again......
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Old 04-05-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
First full year on diet void of grains...first year without allergies (I use to get them bad too).

Coincidence? I think not

Funny how the advent of agriculture did more for the pockets of Big Pharma than for the greater good of mankind
Maybe that's the step I need to take then...but right now I just don't see how I can avoid all grains completely with my wife and 3 kids since I try to be somewhat "normal" and eat dinner with them.

Anyone successfully gone Paleo while their family eats differently?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
Steve Shafley

Fantastic.

Allen...I too struggle with that sort of thing.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Allen,
I can somewhat relate to your situation as I was the black sheep or the food snob (as my family liked to say) when I was living at home a few yrs back. Coming from an Italian background pasta, bread and other starchy carb sources were typical fare on the dinner table most nights. At first, I can remember my mom shaking her head in disgust when I politely told her I was going to eat my own thing but after while they got used to it. "Is everything all right Steve?" or the best one, "Your going to get sick and frail eating all that protein shit." Over time, the comments subsided...and the curiosity took over with questions like, "your staying in great shape Steve, do you find those meals enough to fill you up and keep you going?" Same thing with my wife, but after living with me for years and seeing the results...she now eats the same stuff as me (although let's go on the weekends).

So stay the course Allen and know your setting a good example for your family. Eventually they'll learn from you, accept your food choices and hopefully be willing enough to just try it and see for themselves someday. Is it possible they think of your food as "grown-up food" and think they're not old enough for it yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Maybe that's the step I need to take then...but right now I just don't see how I can avoid all grains completely with my wife and 3 kids since I try to be somewhat "normal" and eat dinner with them.

Anyone successfully gone Paleo while their family eats differently?

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Old 04-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Steve L.,
For dinner we typically eat healthily but grains are still included such as corn, whole wheat noodles...etc. It's been an adjustment so far just getting the stepkids to eat this way without asking for something different for dinner than what everyone else is eating. Which is what they used to do before I married their mom. (i.e. "What's for dinner? Eww....chicken and vegetables? can't I just have a PB+J instead?")

I know it'd be 20 times easier if it was my wife, the baby and myself because my wife likes to eat healthily also and the baby eats what we provide. The stepkids are just used to eating they way they did before, and it's been an adjustment but I'd say that they eat better than most other kids out their in part because I just refuse to buy them a ton of crap. (They still indulge just not as much as they used to or want to.)

In part I try to eat the same thing as what my family is eating so I'm not being super hypocritical and making my own thing because I don't really like what's for dinner. Though when they have pizza or something like that I'll typically do my own thing, or instead of having macaroni with dinner I'll take extra vegetables.

Steve S.,

How has the family nutritional eating changed if at all?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
Robert Allison

Hey Allen,

If you have problems with allergies, you might give quercetin a try. I know quite a few allergy suffers who have good success with it.

I tell them that if they cut out (or at least cut back) on the grains, their allergies would probably resolve themselves. But, as you might image, that advice is about as well received as a brick to the head.

In my book, quercetin is preferable to something like Claritin.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Allison View Post
Hey Allen,

If you have problems with allergies, you might give quercetin a try. I know quite a few allergy suffers who have good success with it.

I tell them that if they cut out (or at least cut back) on the grains, their allergies would probably resolve themselves. But, as you might image, that advice is about as well received as a brick to the head.

In my book, quercetin is preferable to something like Claritin.
I looked it up on google, interesting stuff. What do you typically recommend in terms of dosage? Brands?