Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
Sam Cannons

Default Increasing Deadlift 1RM

What is best way of increasing the 1RM. I was going to start 10x1 3/week next week. Any idears, thought ?

Thankyou

Sam In Aus
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cannons View Post
What is best way of increasing the 1RM. I was going to start 10x1 3/week next week. Any idears, thought ?

Thankyou

Sam In Aus
Huyoooge question. I'm a fan of ladders. Look for Shaf's primer on ladders. Others will no doubt respond with more or less detailed responses. Ladders is the best advice I got for you.

http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494

Also, I believe that everything makes my deadlift go up. Squats, good mornings, deadlifts from a deficit (like off a box), or snatch grip or even tall shoes like army boots. Peter has had good luck with OHS, rack pulls transferring. I have heard of people use clean high pulls and RDL's....It' my belief that if your DL isn't going up, you are either closing in on your genetic potential or you aren't working it very hard.

Gobs of info out there on DL. If you are brand new to DL, check out a copy of power to the people. or google it. Wait I'll tell you Pavel's big secret........ 2 sets of 5 everyday, one work set, one back off set. Start at a low weight, Nowhere close to failing, add 5 pounds a week. take a back off week every month and retest your max.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
Sam Cannons

Thanks Dave, i will give you a bit of background to make it clearer. I have only recently got enough weights at home to do a 1rm max deadlift, so i havent really ever done much 1rm max training. Compared to other lifts i think my dead is pretty shit so i really want to smash is it over the next 6 months. I wasnt sure about pavels stuff as it is only 2x5 a day.

I was going to add sets of 1rm every other day on top of the other crossfit Rx.

Again thanks for your help.
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
Jesse Woody

Quote:
I was going to add sets of 1rm every other day on top of the other crossfit Rx.
Sets of your max every other day? The deadlift is a VERY stressful movement. Being that you're new to it, you can handle more-frequent training, but every other day might still be a bit much, especially if you're lifting at or near max loads. If I were you I'd start with two days a week, and cut the Crossfit WOD's back to compensate for the added stress. Make one day heavy (7x3, 10x2, 5x1, etc.) and one day moderate-light (5x5, 2x8, etc.) To start out I'd keep at least two days rest between these efforts. This is the way I've approached the deadlift in the past, occasionally adding a third day or dropping to one day depending on how recovered I feel. I'm in no way a world-class deadlifter, but I have lifted 405# at a bodyweight of 175# which was up from a 325# max barely a year earlier. I think that with the deadlift recovery is especially important, so don't add too much to your plate at one time!
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Bill Ripley

Actually I think Pavel's PTTP would compliment CF nicely.
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
Steve Liberati

Jesse's post is right on the money IMO. Proper rest and nutrition are often overlooked when addressing heavy lifts. Cushion the two and you'll see marked improvements.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
Steve Shafley

I'd recommend, initially, working up to a max single once a week. In good form.

Then, after that pans out, probably after 4-8 weeks, depending on your training age and status, you'll need to get trickier.

Rip, in his interview with Charles Staley, mentioned this sequence:

power clean->high pull->deadlift

These are called "progressive pulls".

If you can do PCs and high pulls, then this is an excellent way to build up pulling capacity, and an excellent way to insure you are warmed up.

An example, assuming ~500# DL max.

PC: 135x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3, 245x1
HP: 245x3, 275x3, 315x3, 335x1
DL: 335x1, 365x1, 405x1, 455x1, 475x1, 485x1
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Steve Liberati

Steve,
Any chance you have a link to that interview? I'd certainly like to check it out. Makes good sense.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
Steve Shafley

I think it's still here:

http://media.staleytraining.com/rippetoe.mp3
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Rick Deckart
Banned

For a beginner there a plenty ways to improve the deadlift without training it much at all. For example work on squats, occassionaly do deadlifts like Steve described, the deadlift will most likely rise too.

Rack pulls or pulls from blocks helped me big time (okay my weights are so tiny they don't deserve any mentioning but still...) OHS brought some good transfer for me, but in all fairness I did a lot of volume with it. Not sure if that would be worthwhile for others.

Identifiy your weakness (the start, transition around knees, lockout) and give it some extra work.

One thing not mentioned so far, straps. These can and will increase your deadlift considerably. Don't know why but there is some linkage between hands and back/legs. If you feel that you can't hold a weight it won't move. Use straps and the very same weight may fly up... Happened to me on several occassions when I did deadlifts.
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote