Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Dave Van Skike

Default Nice Cosgrove write up.

Simple.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539

Could easily seea a crossfit style WOD progression for fat loss based on this hierarchy.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Simple.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539

Could easily seea a crossfit style WOD progression for fat loss based on this hierarchy.
I like his little wrap up at the end, which matched the different times availible per week with methods suggested.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

"I've made more money from the fat loss market than any other single client group. Over the years my methods have evolved and been refined by what I see in the gym. Simply put, if I can get 20 pounds of fat off a client faster than my competition, I have a higher demand for my services."

Bing-f'n-go....as that is where is money is in the fitness market....

Good stuff.....most of the stuff he has preached before as I know he is all about EPOC and HIIT....basically you want to do everything to build muscle, keep muscle, and burn fat all day long (and night)...anything else that takes away from that equation is not needed. Compound movements, short rests, lactic acid training...all that is needed.

There should be a study on various HIIT protocols and which is best for fat burning, EPOC...is it 20sec on/10 sec rest (tabata), 1min on/30 sec recovery...or this study that has 4min on/2 recovery....of course conditioning of the person comes into play as well....

TWO WEEKS OF HIGH-INTENSITY AEROBIC INTERVAL TRAINING INCREASES THE CAPACITY FOR FAT OXIDATION DURING EXERCISE IN WOMEN
Jason L Talanian1*, Stuart D.R. Galloway2, George J.F. Heigenhauser3, Arend Bonen1, and Lawrence L. Spriet1

Our aim was to examine the effects of seven high intensity aerobic interval training (HIIT) sessions over two weeks on skeletal muscle fuel content, mitochondrial enzyme activities, fatty acid transport proteins, VO2peak, and whole body metabolic, hormonal and cardiovascular responses to exercise. Eight females participated in the study (22.1 ± 0.2 yrs, 65.0 ± 2.2 kg, VO2peak: 2.36 ± 0.24 l·min-1). Subjects performed a VO2peak test and a 60-min cycling trial at ~60% VO2peak prior to and following training. Each session consisted of ten, 4-min bouts at ~90% VO2peak with 2-min rest between intervals. Training increased VO2peak by 13%. Following HIIT, plasma epinephrine and heart rate were lower during the final 30-min of the 60-min cycling trial at ~60% pre-training VO2peak. Exercise whole body fat oxidation (PRE: 15.0 ± 2.4, POST: 20.4 ± 2.5 g) increased 36% following HIIT. Resting muscle glycogen and triacylglycerol contents were unaffected by HIIT, but net glycogen use was reduced during the post-training 60-min cycling trial. HIIT significantly increased muscle mitochondrial {beta}-HAD (PRE: 15.44 ± 1.57, POST: 20.35 ± 1.40 mmol·min-1·kg wm-1) and citrate synthase (PRE: 24.45 ± 1.89, POST: 29.31 ± 1.64 mmol·min-1·kg wm-1) maximal activities by 32% and 20%, while cytoplasmic HSL protein content was not significantly increased. In addition, total muscle FABPpm content increased significantly (25%), while FAT/CD36 content was unaffected following training. In summary, seven sessions of HIIT over two weeks induced marked increases in whole body and skeletal muscle capacity for fatty acid oxidation during exercise in moderately active women.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Based on that article I would guess you would want circuits lasting 3-4 min with a 1-2 min recovery and repeat....or SS 5-10 compound exercises of reps 5-10 and rest and repeat SS circuit.....or run 800meter sprints....all good variations to go with....
Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

excellent article. will be helpful when more and more of this seeps into the mainstream when i'm trying to explain to my fat clients why they're not going for leisurely cruises on the bike while i'm on the clock.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
excellent article. will be helpful when more and more of this seeps into the mainstream when i'm trying to explain to my fat clients why they're not going for leisurely cruises on the bike while i'm on the clock.
Unless Oprah tells them to do it.....good luck.....
Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Ron Nelson

Which leads me to today's poignant commercial gym observation from me, your intrepid reporter:

Most trainers in commercial gyms don't know the first thing about fat loss or training their clients. As seen today, trainers having their obese clients perform curls with a 20lb bar instead of compound movements that build muscle and burn pounds of fat.
(sorry, can't resist a John Basedow reference)

Also, seen at the market today: "Fitness for Dummies." I ain't lying. I was afraid to read it or I'd see articles on jogging and step aerobics.

Oh, I like Cosgrove's stuff.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
Most trainers in commercial gyms don't know the first thing about fat loss or training their clients. As seen today, trainers having their obese clients perform curls with a 20lb bar instead of compound movements that build muscle and burn pounds of fat.
Since most trainers learn more about sales and making money than fitness....it only serves them to not get their clients any results....after all since they are selling 6-12 month personal training.....why would they want their client to get results in 3 months and not need them anymore for tricep kickbacks and more core work.....
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Ron Nelson

Good points MOD.

The other thing that kills me is charging suckers $50/hr or more and then watching them warm up on the stairclimber for 20 min.
If it was me, and it never would be, I'd make the trainer go get me a drink of water.

I know the trainers on this site (even certain trainers with the initials MOD) would never rip people off like that.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
Good points MOD.

The other thing that kills me is charging suckers $50/hr or more and then watching them warm up on the stairclimber for 20 min.
If it was me, and it never would be, I'd make the trainer go get me a drink of water.

I know the trainers on this site (even certain trainers with the initials MOD) would never rip people off like that.
50??? Where do you live again?? In DC the Washington Sports Club are charging people 80-100 (but the trainer only gets 1/3 of that...if they are lucky, so 2/3 goes to the corporate office!??! I never understood that part).

MOD is right though, even though my training knowledge back then doesn't compare to what I have learned now I was still more fitness savvy than all the bosses I had as a trainer. I always viewed them more like car salesmen than trainers.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote