Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
Dave Van Skike

Well, this morning I tied out the dog with a 32k, so they do work good for that.

I am in the camp of kb's are more fun for some things like swings and get ups. Can't quantify it but I see it again and again, people loves the kettebell for high rep complexes.

I prefer snatches with a heavy dumbell than a heavy kb.

Best bang for buck home gym is probably a nice 1" ironmind dumbell and pile of garage sale weights.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Greg Everett
Administrator

any KB instructor/trainer/user worth listening to understands and commmunicates that KBs offfer different stimulus than DBs or barbells--that''s it. For a particular pursuit, a KB may be better suited. But a barbell may be better suited for another.

To say anything is better across the board is absurd. And if you're going to write an entire article on why KBs are bettter than DBs, you better do a little more homework than that.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
Steve Shafley

Lesson?

You can't confuse ad copy with gospel.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
-Ross Hunt

One of those reasons actually isn't so off-the-wall; Turkish get-ups are substantially easier with kettlebells.

The bell rests behind the hand, pulling it back instead of pushing it straight down. This means that as you try to sit up, you can drive forward in your pressing motion instead of pushing directly up; with a KB you can err on the side of pushing forward; it feels almost like a steep incline press. This makes it easier to balance, as well.

Now does easier in this respect= better? That seems to be a matter of opinion + application. Dumbbell TGUs seem to make the shoulder more of a limiting factor, the reduction in OH strength required for a KB TGU seems to make abdominal strength more of a limiting factor.

And I may be a pussy, but I hate doing swings with dumbbells. It's awkward, grip quickly becomes the limiting factor, and the inability to lean back into the swing as much seems to make it less of a continuous movement and allow less recruitment of the back of the legs. So if you or your athletes are going to do a lot of swings, you can solve these problems by getting a kettlebell.

Or you can solve them by just doing olympic lifts instead, and watching your KB swings go up without training.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross Hunt View Post
One of those reasons actually isn't so off-the-wall; Turkish get-ups are substantially easier with kettlebells....
Now does easier in this respect= better? That seems to be a matter of opinion + application. Dumbbell TGUs seem to make the shoulder more of a limiting factor, the reduction in OH strength required for a KB TGU seems to make abdominal strength more of a limiting factor.
That''s why I thought that argument did NOT have merit--since when are we aiming to make an exercise easier (by we I mean us, not them--those who make exercise easy for a living)?

For swings, KBs are the goods. I hate swinging DBs too.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
Russell Greene

Adam Sandler voice:

Kettlebells are better, they have a displaced center of gravity.

No, dumbbells are better, they allow a vertical line of pull.

No, kettlebells are better, they elongate the pull, making snatches harder

No dumbbells are better, they are cheaper.

No kettlebells are better, they make turkish get ups easier.

No dumbells are better, they make turkish get ups harder.

etc
Russell Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
Adam Sandler voice:

Kettlebells are better, they have a displaced center of gravity.

No, dumbbells are better, they allow a vertical line of pull.

No, kettlebells are better, they elongate the pull, making snatches harder

No dumbbells are better, they are cheaper.

No kettlebells are better, they make turkish get ups easier.

No dumbells are better, they make turkish get ups harder.

etc
Stop looking at me, swan!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Stop looking at me, swan!
Did the Penguin tell you do say that?? Ohhh....I see whats going on here...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #19
Catherine Imes

Anyone that knows me, knows I love my KBs...But, I love them for KB Specific Exercises. These are high-rep strength endurance exercises, like KB Snatches, Jerks, swings ect. While these could be done with a dumbbell, the dumbbells design doesn't lend itself to super-high rep stuff like the KB does.

You've got some who are promoting KBs for maximal strength and things that are not specific to the KB, i.e. front squats, presses, Windmills, TGU...

I've used them for low-rep strength stuff and they work, but they are not cost effective for everyone to use them in that manner and they are not adjustable. I've seen some of the RKCs say stuff like, well if you don't think KBs can build strength try SOTs pressing 2-48kg bells. You don't think KBs can build power, try snatching a 48kg.. Anyone price 2-48kg bells? They will run you 500 and that doesn't include shipping. If you don't have an interest in the high-rep, strength endurance exercises, stick with barbells or dumbbells.

I love high rep swings, snatches, jerks (i'm talking multi minute -sets, 100+ reps)...The KB is perfect for those. You also don't have to worry about increasing weight in micro-adjustments for purposes of strength endurance...you just add reps or time.
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
Greg Everett
Administrator

I think Catherine is right on. KBs are awesome for KB exercises and thhey deserve credit for what they do well. The problem comes from a few unscrupulous individuals deciding they can fleece all the suckers out there with claims that KBs are the ultimate fitness solution. But that of course isn't unique to KBs--the new bowflex treadclimber apparently does everything also--the diffference is that KBs made their way into legit the S&C world andd the treadclimber never will.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal