Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-18-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Josh Whiting

Default IF and twice a day training

Has anybody managed to combine IF and twice a day training? If so how?
Josh Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Steve Shafley

This gets a bit tricky.

For me, 2x daily training on an IF wouldn't be a problem. I carry enough bodyfat at this time, so I could basically "live off the stores" for the first workout, and then recompensate after the second workout.

This might not be your case, because when you get lean, it gets much, much trickier, especially if you weren't lean to begin with.

It's going to come down to trying it. If you can't seem to get performance up to snuff, then maybe you are going to have to abandon the IF protocol

However, if you need to lose some fat, splitting metcon and strength work into two sessions might be ideal while IFing.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Like Shaf said...Depends on your training...as if you are doing more strength and power (reps low) then you can probably get away with it using more fat as fuel vs glycogen....using too much glycogen with no food will leave you "bonked"
Old 04-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

I would think that once the desired leanness is achieved, one could work in the "chocolate milk protocol" for additional energy boosts (glycogen replenishment). But, if one is already lean, why the two workouts unless you're doing body splits or advanced hypertophy?

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

I've done it before, have started it again this week. The IF thing is no big deal as far as passing out/lightheadedness goes, you will get hungry....gawdawful hungry at first. one workout a day and a long walk has me ready to eat my desk.

I've had decent luck with two a days like this.

AM workout is short strength based, usually squats and a pull. after the warm-up, no reps over 5.

PM workout is either at lunch or late in the day right before dinner. Again, strength focused, low reps. Neither are metcon,

I have recently tried mixing strength based work with some higher rep stuff like EDT. It works ok but even that can be dodgy. I'd keep metcon close to the feeding window or even during if possible.

Keep in mind, this approach has worked for me IF'ing a couple of days a week. If you are doing IF all the time (7 days a week as I am currently) your mileage may vary.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Mike ODonnell
This message has been deleted by Mike ODonnell.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
But, if one is already lean, why the two workouts unless you're doing body splits or advanced hypertophy?
2x a day + IF = very little mass gain.....just not enough calories IMO....unless you are managing 5000calories in one meal at night....I am guessing no....
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
2x a day + IF = very little mass gain.....just not enough calories IMO....unless you are managing 5000calories in one meal at night....I am guessing no....

Zackly! I would question the applicabilty of IF for mass gain. Not saying it wouldn't work, it's just not the most proven tool for the job.

For me, an admittted "easy keeper" , I can put on solid mass (about 60/40 muscle to fat) at about 4000 kcal a day, easily... Doing that in a 4 hour window and eating clean, let alone a paleo ideal is very tough.

Teh 2x a day for me is to avoid mass gain. My workouts are deliberate, with at least a minute rest between work sets adn I do a lot of ladders with very low reps no more than 3 in most cases. I need 2x a day to fit it all in without having a 2.5 hour session. I can hit the Y near my house and hit the gym at work over lunch with total workout time at about 1 hour each.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Ron Nelson

That's what I was getting at. In some way. I'm using IF and a 3 day a week WO schedule to get lean and retain what little mass I have.
I'm afraid if I went to two-a-days I'd lose the muscle I've gained in the past few weeks.

and be even hungrier. . .oh the growls.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Josh Whiting

I normally do twice a day because I do MMA or similar in the PM and strength/conditioning in the AM. I also like to train in the morning (or I am a bit aggressive during the day) and I often feel like training again when I get home from work!
Josh Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

I would think 2x a day is more beneficial from a conditioning from a sport POV or more advanced strength work. For me, if I want to gain mass I actually workout LESS (like 2-3x a week) otherwise I can not get in the calories I want to gain. But on the downside my conditioning goes to crap and I feel worse trying to shove in all those calories. So if I want to maintain muscle, drop some fat and increase conditioning then I go to more 3-4x a week with workouts ranging from strength/ice hockey/track work/mountain biking. It all depends on your goals and sports/lifestyle needs. I love the IF...but it would not have a place in a mass gain cycle...however that is not where I am with my training right now. I focus on minimizing muscle loss while increasing conditioning...that in itself usually leads to fat loss.