Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #31
James Evans

Allen, how are you getting on?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #32
Allen Yeh

Sorry, I forget to post my progress in this thread, typically I'll throw my stuff in my log.

I had a 2 mile run for the PT test on Sunday, had an asthma attack during, ran out of inhaler stuff, suffice to say my time was less than stellar at 19:01.

Did workout 1 on Tuesday - I actually managed to keep my pace down enough to finish 15:00 straight without walking at all other than jogging in place at the occasional stoplight (my running progress would be nil if a car were to collide with me...just an assumption.) My total distance in the 15:00 was 2.95 km's.

I'm supposed to do workout #2 today or tomorrow, debating on a rest day today, the arches of my feet are pretty sore.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:18 AM   #33
James Evans

I'll start reading your log.

Grit your teeth. You'll get there.

How did you cope with the 5km and 10km runs that CrossFit throws into the mix? Was that just hellday for you?

Oh, and this may be satisfying for you. I'm not enjoying my running much myself at the moment. I've put about 5-6kg on this year (and not all lean muscle either) and I can really feel it. Knees and ankles really ache afterwards. I realise that as I no longer play rugby I don't need to carry that kind of weight.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #34
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post

How did you cope with the 5km and 10km runs that CrossFit throws into the mix? Was that just hellday for you?
I'm not following the WOD's, I'm doing my own thing in terms of lifting and following your running template too.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #35
James Evans

But you used to didn't you?

I was interested how you did back in your CrossFit orientated days.

Or am I wide of the mark?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #36
Allen Yeh

Quote:
But you used to didn't you?

I was interested how you did back in your CrossFit orientated days.

Or am I wide of the mark?
Ohhh....well um I'm embarressed to say I'd do the 5K's and I'd typically end up in the 24-28 minute mark and I would conveniently be too busy to workout on the 10K days and I'd rationalize to myself I'd be better off doing the metcon than trying to make the 10K up on some other day.

Running was a weakness so I'd uh avoid it as much as possible.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #37
James Evans

Ok, good honest answer.

I was wondering if you had been doing the 10ks and now found it hard to get running.

Nothing wrong with 24-28 minutes for 5k. I doubt many sub 18 min guys could handle the weight that you probably do. Something has to give. But what we're trying to do is pull you into the middle of the pack.

I notice a lot of people sub in for the longer runs. That seems to defeat the object to me. Work on your weaknesses etc.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #38
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Work on your weaknesses etc.
Exactly and years later I am actually doing that! heh
Old 05-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #39
Allen Yeh

5/6 - Run 4 - Benchmark A - 2 miles - 19:00

5/9 - Run 1 - 15 minutes - Distance 2.9 km's ~1.78 miles

5/14 - Run 2 - 1 min on, 1 min off, 30 minutes.
-Total distance 4.87 km ~= 3.03 miles
-Total distance run ~2.25 miles
-Total distance walked ~0.75 miles

5/16 - Run 3 - 7 minutes on/3 minutes off repeat twice:
Interval 1 - 0.92 miles, speed ~7:36.5/mile
Interval 2 - 0.9 miles, speed ~7:46.6/mile
Interval 3 - 0.79 miles , speed ~8:51.6/mile
Old 05-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #40
James Evans

Good stuff Allen. How do you feel it's going?

It states the obvious but look at the extra work achieved in R2 over R1 when you are in fact using the same work time of 15 minutes.

I love intervals. They always feel (in advance) that you are cheating but when you break the session down you see you have worked much harder that in that steady state, no stop run.

By the way, this may cheer you up but my running is dreadful at the moment. Ground out a session I normally find a breeze last night. Felt like a death march.