Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 05-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #61
Jeff Northrop

For both lifting and running I use Puma H Streets. These shoes have virtually no cushioning or support -- it's basically a lace up sock with a thin rubber sole. I love them. I switched from a traditional running shoe to these when I switched to a forefoot running style. I'll never go back, never. My feet are stronger and I'm running injury-free.

For the issue with the bottom of your foot: Try some SMR on the front and outside of your lower leg. I had a similar pain. I found lots of knots there from all my running. Once I released them the pain went away. Could have been a coincidence but it couldn't hurt either.
Jeff Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #62
James Evans

Ultimately it's a personal choice thing Jeff.

I myself believe strongly in decent cushioning. I run a lot on tarmac and really notice the difference between my normal running shoes, my race shoes (lightweight, limited cushioning) and my trail shoes (very limited cushioning).

The trail shoes really bang me up these days but after using Salomons for several years I'm going to try out Inov 8 shoes. I also often run under a load so I want extra cushioning.

Did you run the marathon in the Pumas?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #63
Jeff Northrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Ultimately it's a personal choice thing Jeff.
Of course! I'm no expert so I can only relate my personal experience and believe me I understand just because it works for me doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. On top of that I make the wrong choice for myself more often than not.

I didn't run the marathon in the Puma's. I only had the courage to make the switch once I cleared that personal hurdle. I have done a couple of 10+ mile runs in them though, but that's it so far. However, prior to the switch, I was never able to run consistently without injury (ITB most often), so for me they've been a huge help.

Edit: I do strongly suggest the SMR for the lower leg though

Edit again: I meant to say that 10+ miles are the furthest I've run in these shoes. I do run 3x/week in them. Currently 3x1600m intervals, 5 miles tempo run and a 7-10 long run each week.
Jeff Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #64
JW Luckett

James,

What trail shoes do you use that are so light and uncushiony?

jw
JW Luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:36 AM   #65
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW Luckett View Post
James,

What trail shoes do you use that are so light and uncushiony?

jw
Salomon XA Pro 3Ds. My original XA Pros were much more cushioned and I still wear these for day to day walking around. I'm on my third pair of 3Ds now. They're lighter and a bit more stripped back in the sole. From the pictures they put up I notice quite a few of the Gym Jones guys wear them.

+s Light, drain/dry quickly when wet (I wouldn't bother with the Gore-Tex version), good lacing system, good support, pretty hard wearing

-s The sole could be more aggressive. Not so great on harder ground.

I've read mixed things about them but I like them a lot and have favoured them over walking boots too when trekking. However, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Inov 8 so I'm interested in trying them.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #66
Allen Yeh

5/29 - Run #2 revisited - 1:00 on/1:00 off -
Total distance - 3.02 miles??
Total running distance - 2.27 miles??
Total walking distance - 0.75 miles??

So 2 weeks later I end up with the exact same time, BUT I really think I need to recalibrate the Nike+ sensor, at what I am almost positive is a 0.75 mile mark, the sensor told me it was at 0.62 miles. However this isn't a bad thing since I'm actually running more than what the thing is measuring. The thing that changed between now and then is that I bought a new thing to hold the sensor and my 2nd attempt was on flat ground while my first attempt it was a very hilly run.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 AM   #67
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
5/29 - Run #2 revisited - 1:00 on/1:00 off -
Total distance - 3.02 miles??
Total running distance - 2.27 miles??
Total walking distance - 0.75 miles??

So 2 weeks later I end up with the exact same time, BUT I really think I need to recalibrate the Nike+ sensor, at what I am almost positive is a 0.75 mile mark, the sensor told me it was at 0.62 miles. However this isn't a bad thing since I'm actually running more than what the thing is measuring. The thing that changed between now and then is that I bought a new thing to hold the sensor and my 2nd attempt was on flat ground while my first attempt it was a very hilly run.
I wouldn't worry about the distance covered so much. I know that is the ultimate aim here but you can measure your progress later. The point is to get you running on a regular basis. If you feel like you've given it all you've got after the intervals then that's what I want. When you do the unbroken runs, these should be easier.

If you can afford it, buy a Garmin Forerunner. They are very accurate.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 AM   #68
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
If you can afford it, buy a Garmin Forerunner. They are very accurate.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142
No no, my wife would kill me! I'll have to settle for my $30 nike+ thing.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #69
Allen Yeh

June 2, 2007

2 mile PT test - 15:56 Not the best pace BUT after 2 miles I felt like I could keep on going for at least another 1-2 miles! The only 2 400m paces that I liked were there first 400m's and the last 400m's of 1:45 and 1:47 the other 400m's were all ~2:00. Thanks James!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 AM   #70
Allen Yeh

I found out that I wouldn't be leaving for Officer Basic until at earliest Feb-April 2008. What would be the best recommendation to keep at this but avoid hurting myself? i.e. foot/knee pain seems to be a weekly occurence now.

Option 1:
Keep at the program 3x a week and then ramp it down to 2x a week and perhaps ramp it back up when the date comes closer, ~Dec 2007/Jan 2008.

Option 2: Follow the program but ramp it down to 2x a week and 1x a week of sprints under 100m's.

Option 3: Stop running and pick it back up later (which I don't want to do but I couldn't think of anything else for option 3)

I know I need to run weekly to maintain my ability to run as when I don't run for even a few weeks it's noticable how much harder it is.