Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
For me, the biggest advantage of IF (besides improved health, sleep, energy levels, mood, and body comp) is convenience.
That is spot on. I really enjoyed the fact that food was not really influencing my schedule, and that I was more able to just focus on living life.

The main reason I dropped IF for while is because I am trying to put on a few pounds and get stronger, and I was finding it difficult to do that while IF'ing. I think that in few weeks, I might try to pick it back up, but add in protein shakes as part of my diet, to make sure that I am maintaining a caloric surplus.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Allison View Post
The main reason I dropped IF for while is because I am trying to put on a few pounds and get stronger, and I was finding it difficult to do that while IF'ing. I think that in few weeks, I might try to pick it back up, but add in protein shakes as part of my diet, to make sure that I am maintaining a caloric surplus.
I think you can still add the lbs as during the fasts you have the protein sparing affects and improved insulin sensitivity...just as long as the calories are there. And as Scotty mentioned...he can put on pounds doing IF with actually less calories than before when eating 6x a day....of course another easy way is to limit the amount of activity you do, you'll put on lbs but your conditioning may suffer a bit.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Here's my initial idea.

I'm starting to fast at 3pm today, going until 3pm Monday.
Feed Monday evening and Tuesday morning.
Fast Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning.
Feed Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.
Fast Thursday evening and Friday morning.
Feed Friday evening all the way through Sunday morning. Then resume this schedule.

Supplements only taken on feed days (this will save me ~40% on supplements alone, not to mention the food savings!).

At the start, I'm going to do OL/gymnastics workouts and/or joint mobility on the fasting days, until I'm used to it. I'm already saving my longer metcons for the weekend anyway.

Larry, are you still trying to maintain the Zone on IF? I could see doing the compressed window with meat and veggies, just not with the carbs asked for by the Zone.

To make sure, doing IF properly, one can have non-caloric beverages during the fast? IE...coffee, teas, herbal teas? Has anyone noticed this screwing with their appetite (especially the coffee)?

Thanks everybody. Maybe a short sticky could be made for this Forum on the basic approaches to IF...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
Robert Allison

Looks good, Garrett.

I think that coffee, tea and other non-caloric beverages are on the politically correct list for IF. I found that they didn't really mess with my appetite, but YMMV.

Quote:
I think you can still add the lbs as during the fasts you have the protein sparing affects and improved insulin sensitivity...just as long as the calories are there
Very true. I think that was the issue for me. My intake was adequate to maintain, but not add. I probably need to go back and dig up some of Scotty's articles on how he approaches that.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
Steve Liberati

With a good post workout meal on your fasting day (protein, veggies and tubers) and most of your cals at night (olive oil is your new best friend) adding a few pounds and putting muscle should not be a problem. In fact, if you have a slow metabolism to begin with, I bet its much easier overall (without adding the unwanted weight gain). As for doubling the cals to "make up the caloric deficit" I don't really think is necesary unless 1.) you want to put on slabs of muscle 2.) you have a very fast metabolism like Robb W. and your body burns food like dry leaves in a fire. If that is case, you probably shouldn't be doing IF anyway. Just eat clean foods as frequent as you can.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #16
Steve Liberati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Supplements only taken on feed days (this will save me ~40% on supplements alone, not to mention the food savings!).

To make sure, doing IF properly, one can have non-caloric beverages during the fast? IE...coffee, teas, herbal teas? Has anyone noticed this screwing with their appetite (especially the coffee)?
Garrett,
Just out of curiosity, why the no supps on fasting days?
and...
highly recommend herbal teas on fast days to keep appetite in check and body well hydrated. Most people report higher sensitivity to coffee as well. Personally, I opt for a small shot of espresso on fast days instead...gives the metabolic furnace a good kickstart! (without the anxiety feeling i.e shakes)
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
Mike ODonnell

I keep the coffee (small americano) and small amt of half/half in the AM.....keeps my hunger under control....plus with the already increased sensitivity and fasting...my focus and mental clarity increases...aka I get more done in the AM now....that and I find that I can do much better endurance training on an empty stomach with caffeine...mostly because the stomach has more nerve endings than the human brain, and it is basically resting....so with fasting I now have an increased amount of energy and fresh CNS for muscle activation....I find exercise (biking, running, hockey) easier and I "feel" lighter.....if I try the same exercise 2-3 hours after eating a meal...I feel less performance and my legs feel heavier....
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
Garrett Smith

Scotty,
Besides answering the other questions, since you mentioned the 2500 Cals during a feeding...

What brought you to that point of deciding on that amount? Did the Zone rx help with that, or has it been all trial and error? Approximately what is your BW and BF%, and how much of your intake is fat?

I'd rather start this journey utilizing the knowledge of others who have gone before...

I talked to my parents about IF today, they seemed interested. Who knows...
Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #19
Robb Wolf

Good stuff. I just find the IF easier. I notice I am not as hot in the summer due most likely to a lower BMR. Much of the waste heat is what creates a chronic oxidative load...decoupling of the mitochondrial electron transport system to create heat and fritter away calories. Not good for health and longevity. The partitioned eating certainly makes it easier for me to gain muscle.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #20
Garrett Smith

Steve,
I'm not doing the supps on the fasting days, partially because my gut is telling me to.

Robb's article on hormesis gave me the idea.

I've heard some in medical field throwing around ideas that too many antioxidants can interfere with the oxidative burst of the macrophages and other things like that, along with potentially becoming pro-oxidative.

I don't see why the benefits of fasting in terms of creating cycles/waves in the metabolism can't be extended to supplements as well.

Great book on cycles and waves in nature: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Waves-I.../dp/1594860440 . He's created a cyclical exercise routine that seems to reinstate natural rhythms in the body, curing dis-eases much like IF seems to. The two together would be incredible, IMO. I'm working on getting out to his place to learn the specifics...