Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #21
Andy Deas

Robb,

How closely are you monitoring your total calories and your macronutrient breakdown with IF (if at all)? Are you using a low carb by the seat of your pants (we need an acronym for that) approach?
Andy Deas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Steve Liberati
This message has been deleted by Steve Liberati.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #22
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Great book on cycles and waves in nature: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Waves-I.../dp/1594860440 . He's created a cyclical exercise routine that seems to reinstate natural rhythms in the body, curing dis-eases much like IF seems to. The two together would be incredible, IMO. I'm working on getting out to his place to learn the specifics...
Funny you should mention Dardik. A while back, I had saved an article that referenced his work, thinking that I might explore it a little further when I had the time. I just came across it again the other day.

You can view the article here. I really don't know much about the author, other than she seems to have an Internet radio program that focuses on natural health care.

What did you think of Making Waves?
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #23
Garrett Smith

Robert,
I thought it was a great book, everything in it made sense. Opening my eyes wider to nature's "waves within waves" made me even more receptive to IF.

I look forward to when I will be able to learn this Lifewaves protocol. For folks who just won't touch a weight, being able to improve their health drastically with some simple, short intervals sounds incredibly beneficial.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #24
Garrett Smith

Default First day of fasting is over...

OK. The first 24 hours are done.

I felt like I did fine, I did get the stomach grumbling, and I felt hungry most of the morning. No big deal.

My wife did notice towards the end that my eyes looked "glassy".

I definitely enjoyed eating again. So far (since 3pm), I've had three sheets of nori and a can of Tongol tuna with: olive oil, butter oil, pine nuts, cilantro, wheat-free tamari. I tried to hold back a bit so I don't ruin dinner...

Even while feeling hungry, I've been more "on task" today than I have been in a long time. I think the hunger definitely made me think about what to do next, as I sure as heck wasn't going to just sit around and feel hungry!

Did a short strength workout this morning of OHS and eccentric back lever singles. Felt good.

I'd say placebo at this point, but my bodyfat already looks lower (or it's just less generalized edema, who knows).

I do believe I'll enjoy my food more doing this (and not take it for granted...).
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #25
Garrett Smith

I talked with Dardik's folks at www.LifeWaves.com on the phone this morning. I'm very excited about learning this protocol, so far they report great results with a huge spectrum of chronic diseases.

The guy on the phone was even familiar with IF...
Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #26
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Deas View Post
Robb,

How closely are you monitoring your total calories and your macronutrient breakdown with IF (if at all)? Are you using a low carb by the seat of your pants (we need an acronym for that) approach?
Not much tracking. I will end a fast early if my training dictates but I am usually able to run the fast out to ~18hrs, train and then eat. The first meal is protein (canned wild salmon) and yams. Later meals are protein, greens and quite a bit of fat.

I did follow a 16block zone for a couple of months. Leaned way out, ramped up the fat...felt good then went nuts on the regimentation. That said I think i keep proportions pretty close to that level. Performance is good and it's easy to live with.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #27
Daniel Miller

Great stuff reading this thread!

Dr G, I'm curious to keep reading about your experience. I've been motivated to give IF my second attempt as well.

Perhaps I'll start a journal as well. My goal is 6 weeks, starting this week following a hybrid of the 1. eat noon-6pm and 2. alternate morning (wake-1pm) and evening (1pm-sleep) every other day.

This past winter and spring, I gained 5lbs of lbm and have the goal of keeping it on while keeping performance up, saving time by not eating, and seeing if IF helps with mental focus.

If my experience is good in the next 6 weeks, I'll be starting med school in August and will be doing IF for the duration!
Daniel Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #28
Garrett Smith

First feed day is going well so far. I was definitely really hungry last night...I had a whole dark chocolate bar and some celery+cilantro pesto dip on top of my 3pm tuna and nori snack, that was all above and beyond my "normal" food intake after 3pm. Dinner was some seaweed salad and about a pound of wild salmon.

Breakfast shakes were normal this morning. Lunch will be normal, two cans of Tongol tuna and some more seaweed salad. We'll see what else I might eat before 3pm...

I know that there is going to be a gradual metabolic rate slowdown, which will allow me to drop my nutrient needs over time. My wife thinks this will only last two weeks at the most. I just don't see the 24 hours on, 24 hours off as that big of a deal, nor do I see it as any inconvenience, so I don't think it will be a problem over time.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #29
Scotty Hagnas

Garrett- Definitely let me know if you are headed up this way!

Re: the request for a food log - I'll do a training and food log starting in a few weeks. I am slammed busy until the day job ends on May 18th. You can get a pretty good feel of it from several back issues of the P menu, though. One article has my eating schedule for a month, the other what training I did.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Scotty Hagnas is offline   Reply With Quote