Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
Sam Cannons

Default CroCop Upset

What an unusual finish to ufc. A grappler knocks out a world class striker with a head kick most disappointed.

A die hard Crocop fan

Sam In Aus
Sam Cannons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Robert Allison

Wow... I never would have guessed that. I am also a big fan of Mirko and was looking forward to him fighting Couture

He was also knocked out by Kevin Randelman a while back. I wonder if he gets so focused on ground defense against grapplers that he neglects their striking.

Of course, it could also just be that the skill level in MMA has risen to the point to where there is some degree of parity.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

that was possible the gnarliest knockout i've ever seen... i thought his head was going to come off. not to mention the position his knee and ankle were in when he hit the deck. i think he had an apgar score of about 4 for a couple minutes there. fuuuuuudge that.

gonzaga vs cotoure is going to be very interesting...

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
that was possible the gnarliest knockout i've ever seen... i thought his head was going to come off.
Yeah, I heard it was pretty nasty. I missed the fight--totally forgot it was a free event on Spike. I am hoping the clip gets uploaded to YouTube or somewhere. I would definitely like to see it.

The debate over whether Pride or the UFC has the best fighters should get interesting.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Allison View Post
I am hoping the clip gets uploaded to YouTube or somewhere.
no doubt that clip will top highlight lists for many years to come...

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Robb Wolf

That definitely made me decide to keep most of my training in the grappling realm. Crocop has been largely undefeated in chess his whole life...I hope that is still the case.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Crocop has been largely undefeated in chess his whole life...I hope that is still the case.
i'll be shocked if he can even remember what chess is after that brain trauma.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
Robert Allison

I found it on DailyMotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/crocop

Holy #@$& That was brutal.

Cro Cop is often more of a counter-puncher, but he seemed very tentative. Still, very impressive performance by Gonzaga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
That definitely made me decide to keep most of my training in the grappling realm.
Yep... we train stand-up, but are very conscious of avoiding hard shots that land on the old CPU. Too many blows to the head, even at the amateur level, is bad ju-ju.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Allison View Post
Yep... we train stand-up, but are very conscious of avoiding hard shots that land on the old CPU. Too many blows to the head, even at the amateur level, is bad ju-ju.
Speaking of too many blows to the head, Tuesday night at No-Gi I was defending a guard pass from one of the black belt. I was spinning with him and I had my right hand on his hip and I he was trying to move into side control. Well me in my infinite wisdom tucked my head and brought my knee up to block his move. Not so good as I kneed myself right in the mouth and damn near gave him the TKO.

I woke up Wednesday wondering what the hell happened to my mouth.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Speaking of too many blows to the head, Tuesday night at No-Gi I was defending a guard pass from one of the black belt. I was spinning with him and I had my right hand on his hip and I he was trying to move into side control. Well me in my infinite wisdom tucked my head and brought my knee up to block his move. Not so good as I kneed myself right in the mouth and damn near gave him the TKO.

I woke up Wednesday wondering what the hell happened to my mouth.
Dude, that had to hurt. We have been working a lot on defending and escaping from side control. Getting your body into that tucked position is a good strategy; it is more difficult to flip you on to your back and you can shrimp out with a little space. Your tuck might have been a little tight, though.

It seems like the faster speed of the No-Gi game lends itself to more of those incidents. We have been working a lot of Gi lately, which tends to be a little more methodical.