Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Troy Archie

Default Olympic Lifting for Dummies

To start off I'm a skinny 5'-10" 155lbs Crossfitter with my only Oly lifting exposure being that of Crossfit and I know there's plenty of you who don't consider that exposure. I'd say I'd rank upper novice in strength (Weightlifting Performance Standards), more so in the lower body/TB lifts than the upper body lifts. I’ve trained Crossfit for about 2.5 years with one of those years doing made up WOD’s while traveling OZ and Asia. I'm addicted to Crossfit and have been hesitant to change as I’ve gotten great results from it, especially when compared it to the BB and long runs crap I used to do. My goals are health and fitness. I very well see that my strength is my weakness and it’s something I want to address. Right now I have no intention to compete but stranger things have happened.

So I did some digging around in the dregs of the internet and came up with a name and number for an Olympic Lifting coach and gym in my town. I took a drive down met with the guy and got the low down. He starts off with 3-5 "Learning Sessions" (depending on your level of learning and response) where he asses you and instructs the basics of the lifts. Sessions run for about an hour and cost $50 each. After those 3-5 sessions he creates a program for you to address your wants and goals, whether you're a completive lifter, firefighter or soccer player. Program runs for 4 weeks and after that he re-asses you and makes changes where needed. You either pay drop in times or buy 6-12 month passes to his gym and train there. 12 months comes out to $20/month. He gives you the keys to the place and you come and go as you may. If he's there while you're training he says he'll be badgering the sh!t out of you with feedback and what you're doing wrong. From my conversation with him, he's been in the game since the 60's, has coached the Canadian National team, has had a number of athletes win the Canadian Nationals and most recently had one win the Canadian Westerns and is revving him up for the Nationals.

Does this sound like a good deal?

What should/can I expect?

As I said I’ve been rather hesitant to stop drinking the Crossfit cool-aid and have been trying to figure how I could put the two together but I figure, what’s 1-3 months of training a different and more appropriately a specific modulate instead of many? Along with the strength gain that I would make the amount that I’d learn in that time can only do me good and as time goes by I see more and more that the more I learn the better I become.

Any feedback and perspectives would be great.
Troy
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Perhaps if you give his name someone will know of him.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Troy Archie

Larry Mather

http://www.albertaweightlifting.com/...facilities.htm
http://www.albertaweightlifting.com/contact_us.htm
http://www.albertaweightlifting.com/
Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
John Alston

Troy
I think the chance to work with a coach who is up to the level of coaching a national team is alone worth pursuing.
The 20 bucks a month deal sounds pretty good.
As a disclosure, I am an oly lifting head so I am inclined to say, "Hell yeah drop that weak 135lb clean for reps crap and develop some real power!" but that's just where I am coming from, no disrepect.
If you look around this board you'll see that people who try to focus on strength and/or mass gain - whether oly or not - seem to have trouble maintaining a lot of their WOD numbers. Be prepared for that.
But good coaching is hard to find, which is esp true for weightlifting. I say drink that fountain of knowledge!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

There is nothing to lose by training in pure OL for a couple of months...if anything, you'll come back to CF with some badass form and strength in the OLs!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

try something new...follow your interests...learn...and progress....that's what life is all about.....go for it!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
My goals are health and fitness. I very well see that my strength is my weakness and itís something I want to address. Right now I have no intention to compete but stranger things have happened.
Sounds a lot like me. About a year ago, if anything related to Olifting was posted in the WOD, I would pretty much cower in fear. A workout like Isabel as Rx'd (30 snatches at 135 lbs) seemed utterly discouraging to me, as even 1 rep was not possible.

I knew there was a training facility about 45 minutes from my home, but procrastinated for the longest time. One day, I just got fed up with having this huge gap in my knowledge/ability and took the plunge. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

The way I see it, the time spent focused on a specific skill is not a distraction, but rather an investment in one's overall, long-term fitness. Who knows...you may decide to compete one day. Go with the flow!
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Troy Archie

Thanks for the feedback all. I had come to the realization that I would NEED to go on some sort of strength/power protocal at sometime in the near future. I was planning on a SS framework but think that Oly lifting would be a lot more fun and I would probably get more out of it result wise and learning wise. I was pretty much sold on the idea when I left the place but was interested in a different perspective. Now I just need to get the ball rolling, which might be harder said than done with school starting on Monday. 5 years of school here I go...

Cheers
Old 04-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Elliot Royce

Troy:

Although I am nowhere near the CFitter you are, I was turned on to the O lifts via CF. I also know of other CFitters who are starting to reorient themselves towards O lifting. There's nothing that prevents you from doing both. Unless you are planning to go into serious competition (and not just meets like many people do - ask Yoon and John for their experience, i"m still a virgin), you won't want to O lift more than 3x per week. And you want to make sure at the beginning that you're lifting under supervision to get your form down. So there's still plenty of time for CF.

A coach is wonderful. I've made tremendous progress with Gary Valentine, and your guy also seems very experienced. See if you can afford him for 2 hours per week - by the time you warm up and get going, the hour will be gone. Also, try to find a time when some of the experienced lifters are there so you can join them.

You don't want to give up on your conditioning, though, so find something -- CF, sprinting, another sport -- to keep the metabolic conditioning up. O lifting will help: 5 heavy hang cleans in a row will get you briefing, but it's not the same thing. Keep us posted - start a log.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
Troy Archie

Thanks Elliot. The general conditioning aspect is what's been on the back of my mind this whole time and is why I'm hesitant to drop CF entirely. I've had great results with CF and still am but addressing key issues now will only help me not only in the long run of things but in the immediate too. I forget though that I'm not going to be training the Oly lifts 9 times a week like the competitors and 3-4 times a week will probably be the magic number, at least at the start.

Do you post all your training on here or just Oly stuff and CF stuff on a different log?