Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Cassi_Nesmith

Default Doctor suggests paleo...

...may be too high in protein.

I'm sure there are opinions on this and I'd like to hear them.

Back ground information:

He asked where I got this diet in the first place.

He warned adamantly against Atkins because it caused significant problems with other patient's treatment. (Very strong warning, and well founded)

I want to add, his treatment has been quite good, holistic and open minded. He's recommended vitamins and supplements (Fish oil!) as adjunct to the pharmaceuticals.

P.S. If you really think you need to know what I'm being treated for, pm me, as I do not want that info on a public forum.

Last edited by Cassi_Nesmith : 04-24-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: correct misinformation
Cassi_Nesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

The Paleo diet is not inherently high in protein. Just eat more vegetables.

I specifically tell people to treat their meals as having vegetables for the main dish, everything else is a side dish (including meat). If you told this doctor that, I don't think he'd have an issue.

The Atkins diet can be a horrible diet or a great diet--it depends on the source and quality of the foods one uses in it. High amounts of grain-fed beef and pork, little vegetables and fruit, and high amounts of artificial sweeteners will make anyone sick, yet this would be totally okay on the Atkins diet.

Paleo to me refers to how food choices are made--it has very little to do with the amounts of various foods.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Robb Wolf

Cassi-
Not much to add to Gerrett's excellent post. If you want to have your Dr. Email me feel free to: robb@norcalsc.com

Id refer him to the voluminous peer reviewed articles at http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/

Too much protein? You Doc needs to read up, that one was put to bed quite some time ago.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Cassi_Nesmith

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I specifically tell people to treat their meals as having vegetables for the main dish, everything else is a side dish (including meat). If you told this doctor that, I don't think he'd have an issue.

How does this look at breakfast time? I have trouble choking down eggs and fruit. (But I do eat breakfast every day)
Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Cassi,
I do a shake like this pre-workout on my feeding days:

7-8 oz. (homemade) kombucha
2 oz. prune juice
1 Tbsp. Fruits 'n Greens (aka NewChapter Berry Green)
1 serving (2 scoops) hemp protein
4g creatine monohydrate

6 grams of BCAAs

I do a PWO shake that involves raw eggs, pineapple, and powdered glandulars, figure you're not interested in that.

What about cooking eggs and veggies together (or as I say, "eggs with a bunch of stuff in them")?

Wild smoked salmon is a great option too. Or good lunch meat. Or quinoa/millet/amaranth/buckwheat cooked as a hot cereal, if you're down with the grain-like seeds...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Cassi_Nesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Cassi,

What about cooking eggs and veggies together (or as I say, "eggs with a bunch of stuff in them")?

Wild smoked salmon is a great option too. Or good lunch meat. Or quinoa/millet/amaranth/buckwheat cooked as a hot cereal, if you're down with the grain-like seeds...
oh yeah - omelettes (doh!) Are grain-like cereals "okay"? Paleo-thin did not like them. I would like them though.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Cassi,
It's up to you. A little of those particular cereals would likely be okay, in my opinion, a couple days a week. Is it *optimal*? Probably not. Definitely prepare them with some veggies in them.

Soaking them overnight before cooking will also help to remove even more of the antinutrients, making them even less objectionable.

Over time, you'll figure out truly Paleo breakfasts that you like. I've found the shakes in the morning are the most agreeable and easiest to prepare for me. I save my cooking for dinners.

Buckwheat (kasha) actually has a decent bit of research on it improving insulin sensitivity in diabetics.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Kim Dowse

Cassi - not certain how you are cooking your eggs, but here's my favorite breakfast...egg pancake (easy to take to work for me).
6 egg whites
fruit (strawberries, blueberries....your choice)
8-9 peacans or almonds
stevia
cinnamon

heat omelette pan (over low heat w/olive oil)
beat the egg whites
fold in berries
fold in nuts
a few dashes of cinnamon
add to pan, cover, cook approx 4 mins, flip over, cook another 2 min
Voila!

Sometimes I'll top with a tsp of maple syrup or a nut butter. I eat them hot or cold. I'm on the road for work and these are easy to eat with your fingers. Had one for dinner after my XF workout. I go through 3-4 dozen egg whites weekly...I'm addicted to them.
Kim Dowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:29 AM   #9
Bobby Spencer

Kim,
That sounds really good. Do you think it would still be good to cook it the night before and then reheat it in the morning right before I leave the house? Some mornings I don't have time to cook.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

Kim, why do you avoid the yolks? That's where all of the goodness is...the fat, the flavor, and the vitamins.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote